UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2007, 6:47 pm   #1
Mikey405
Octode

Default Poorly Dinosaur

Hi everyone.

My Dinosaur standards converter died the other day after the new power supply that I installed was rather over-zealous about supplying current. Anyway, I have located the problem but I have no idea where to get the IC from. It is a TSH101N which is long since extinct. I have a 741 in the socket at the moment, but the bandwidth of that is only 1.5MHz and I get a pretty fuzzy picture (Subtitles are barely readable). Can anyone recommend a pin-equivalent IC that I can put in? Apparently the EL2044 is the same but this is almost as scarce as the TSH101N. The pinout of the 741 is pretty much the same except for the greatly reduced bandwidth.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be very pleased.

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 7:23 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Poorly Dinosaur

Try these places:

http://www.huskyintl.com/partslist/p...ls/TSH101N.htm

http://www.westchip.com/amd/stock4670.cfm

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 7:28 pm   #3
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi Mate.

I've had a bit of a "google" and have found that there are several American sites that stock them as hard to find or obsolete semiconductors. The only downside is there is a very high minimum order.

Good luck.
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 7:57 pm   #4
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike,

The EL2044CN is listed as available from Dalbani / Nikko Electronics (www.dalbani.co.uk) priced at £3.02 each and available in singles. Just punch EL2044 into the search box on the website. I've always found them good to deal with. No connection etc, etc.........

Regards,
ScreenSaver
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 8:55 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreenSaver View Post
I've always found them [Dalbani's] good to deal with.
And me
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 10:17 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I've probably got some EL2044 in my spares box. PM me and I'll have a look. I've certainly got EL2020 which may work.
Old 23rd Jun 2007, 4:26 am   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I've looked up the part. It's an obsolete video opamp made by STM. It's actually a TSH10, the suffix is IN, presumably meaning industrial temp range and 8 pin DIP package. The data sheet only listed it in SO8 package. The EL2044 will certainly work and looks like a direct equivalent.

The pinout is standard for opamps which is why the 741 works after a fashion. If you have a TL081 or similar opamp to hand it will work a bit better than the 741 and give you a slightly better instant fix but still not enough bandwidth.

The EL2020 is a current feedback video opamp while the EL2044 is voltage feedback. For many purposes this makes no difference. In practical terms the feedback resistor must be the right value for an EL2020. Too large and you get poor bandwidth, too small and it will oscillate. 820R or 1K is usual for most applications.

I'm pretty sure the EL2020 will work in Dinosaur.

You have a PM.
Old 23rd Jun 2007, 7:45 am   #8
Mikey405
Octode

Thanks Jeffrey (and everyone).

I just looked at the chip under a magnifying glass and you are of course right about the number. The 2nd "1" is actually an "I".

The 741 was not meant to be a permanent replacement, only just to prove a point. I have some TL081s and I may try one of those in the mean time, but one of those EL op-amps sounds just the ticket.

Thanks again Jeffrey.

From Mike.