UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2018, 2:29 pm   #1
Simon376442
Triode

Default Ferguson 3026 poor sound

Ferguson 3026 record player new stylus fitted.
Was always happy on approx volume setting 3.
Now need to crank it up to 6 or 7 to get decent sound.
Does this sound like a speaker, amplifier or stylus area fault?
Old 19th May 2018, 3:36 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 3026 poor sound

Taking what you say literally, it suggests that the difference in sound is wholly attributable to the change in stylus; before and after. Is it the proper replacement type? Properly fitted? Anything (accidentally or otherwise) physically changed such as tracking weight etc?
Old 19th May 2018, 4:21 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Did you change just the stylus, or the entire cartridge (the electrical bit that the stylus fits into)?

Apart from being too quiet (you have to turn the volume control up further), is the sound otherwise OK. Any distortion, for example?
Old 19th May 2018, 4:22 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You are likely to have a BSR Stereo-Compatible or Stereo cartridge in this. What is the cartridge type number, it will be something like SC12M, and what is the replacement stylus number, it will be something like ST20?? is the stylus shank sitting neatly in the "V" groove on the soft coupler pad?
Old 19th May 2018, 5:06 pm   #5
Simon376442
Triode

I know originally it would have had an ST4.
I fitted an ST15 and it was fine at first.
The sound has no distortion or buzz just needs more volume to get the same sound.
I did adjust the weight of the arm

Fitted an ST15, why worked fine, then it suddenly reduced in volume, will adjusting tone arm weight cause this?
Old 19th May 2018, 5:23 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would not increase the weight of the arm - that will not solve the problem, but is likely to increase record and stylus wear. On that BSR autochanger in your player, it should be set to 5 grams.
Old 19th May 2018, 9:10 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

The ST15 is not from the same range as the ST4 -- it's made to fit a different cartridge (X5 and SX6, as opposed to X1 and X3). The stylus shank must be making intimate contact with the fork that transfers movement to the crystal; you will only be able to get a faithful reproduction of the original sound if the crystal is exactly following the stylus movement. (And it probably isn't doing your records any favours to have the shank bouncing off the insides of the fork every time the groove changes direction.)

Fit the proper stylus, set the tracking weight correctly and it will sound better.
Old 20th May 2018, 2:46 am   #8
ben
Dekatron

The ST15 is slightly shorter shanked than the ST4, but I don't think the difference is likely to be very significant (I will dig one out tomorrow and experiment) - but do check the tip is seated in the rubber 'ears' of the cartridge. The OP has said that it worked fine at first.
My guess is that the internal contacts are a bit tarnished as often happens with these carts.

Can we see some photos? That would definitely help here.
Old 20th May 2018, 11:52 am   #9
Simon376442
Triode

I think I will try and get an ST44 and see what happens.
Old 20th May 2018, 1:53 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

What now makes you think you need an ST44 stylus? These were designed for Sanyo cartridges and were not used in any Ferguson I know of. As previously requested, and as you have asked for our help - do let us know the make/type of cartridge you have, or take a photo, otherwise you are going to continue to waste money.
Old 20th May 2018, 2:09 pm   #11
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
What now makes you think you need an ST44 stylus? These were designed for Sanyo cartridges and were not used in any Ferguson I know of.
Obviously a typo, wouldn't you think, especially as the OP had previously stated that the original was an ST4.
Old 20th May 2018, 6:53 pm   #12
Simon376442
Triode

My typing error. I will try an ST4. I know the cartridge is original as the player was purchased new by my mother and hasn't had any modification

Thank you everyone for your help. I will let you know how I get on
Old 20th May 2018, 11:24 pm   #13
ben
Dekatron

I have found a pic of the BSR C1 cart which this player was purportedly fitted with. I can see no reason why an ST15 cannot be used. My guess is that either the cartridge is failing (rubber deterioration?) or the amp. But until we see pics of the cart who knows for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BSR C1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	163246  
Old 20th May 2018, 11:34 pm   #14
julie_m
Dekatron

That's a ceramic cartridge with a stylus with a metal shank. The ST15 has a fatter, plastic shank for crystal cartridges. It would not ride properly in those forks.

Agree on the pictures front, though ..... Let's see the patient.
Old 20th May 2018, 11:50 pm   #15
ben
Dekatron

Hate to disagree Julie ;-) but you are thinking of ST8/9/10. ST15 is metal shank. See: https://www.fabian.com.mt/dynimage/h...d/497/name.jpg
Old 21st May 2018, 6:07 am   #16
julie_m
Dekatron

You're right, Ben. I must have been thinking of the ST7 / 8 / 9.

It was a long time ago, though, when I used to memorize stylus and cartridge numbers of record players in shops .....
Old 21st May 2018, 8:43 am   #17
Simon376442
Triode

Hi Guys, I found yesterday that I had the broken previous stylus. This was an ST4 and worked perfectly until it broke, I bought a new stylus from eBay. It was listed as ST4 but came through as an ST15. You are all correct the needle part is shorter. I have ordered a proper ST4 and will try that. I will send a photo of the cartridge if that dosesn't cure it. The pic that Ben posted is the same as fitted to my machine.
Old 23rd May 2018, 5:51 pm   #18
Simon376442
Triode

I have fitted a new stylus no better, Have had the cartridge out and too be honest the stylus is a bit loose and the rubber is perishing, so will try a new cartridge. Will keep you posted.
Old 24th May 2018, 10:30 am   #19
ben
Dekatron

Before splashing out the best part of 30-40 notes why not post some photos so we can see if there really is a problem?
Old 26th May 2018, 3:09 pm   #20
Simon376442
Triode

Bought new cartridge All back to normal. The stylus was way too loose on the old one so not making proper contact. Thank you all for your help
Closed Thread