UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2018, 3:10 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default BBC i-player section 'From the Archive'

Quite easy to miss this on the i-player and perhaps some folk aren't aware that it exists. You have to go to 'Categories' and then select 'From The Archive' which brings up a long list of fascinating programmes, many not seen since their original tranmission. There are some going right back to the turn of the 1950s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/catego...=dateavailable

Great vintage viewing material BUT - the only annoyance is that 4:3 ratio programmes are shown in a frame (i.e. not full screen), presumably to make them viewable on modern 16:9 sets, so bang went my idea of watching shows through an Aurora on a suitable 405 line set. I don't think there's any way around that.

Steve
Old 1st Mar 2018, 8:32 pm   #2
Courtney Louise
Octode

Default Re: BBC i-player section 'From the Archive'

Excellent!
Old 1st Mar 2018, 9:35 pm   #3

Quote:
Great vintage viewing material BUT - the only annoyance is that 4:3 ratio programmes are shown in a frame
Solution, download as MP4 using Get_Iplayer and then convert with Freemake (or another video converter).

Old 1st Mar 2018, 11:17 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

4:3 works on my telly ok as full picture with side curtains. I'd imagine you should be able to adjust your telly to zoom the pic to fit?

I'm a regular visitor to the iplayer archive, although i find the overly-loud introductions 'this programme has been brought to you by Lena Zavaroni' or 'this bbc archive has been recommended by Brian Cox' rather annoying.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 4:25 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

They have a Facebook page too, where they share a few interesting clips each day. Worth following if you use Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Mar 2018, 8:42 pm   #6
Valvepower
Octode

Fantastic, it has the episode of Fanny Cradock Cooks for Christmas where she sets about a Christmas turkey with a pair of garden pruning shears – it’s as scary now as it was back in 1975!

Fanny Cradock makes Gordon Ramsay look tame in comparison

Terry
Old 30th Mar 2018, 7:40 am   #7
Colourstar
Octode

Just a heads-up that a complete 1955 edition of 'In Town Tonight' is available on the i-Player. A rare chance to see an example of this long running radio magazine-type programme which crossed over to television. The title sequence where London's bustling traffic is commanded to 'Halt!' is well remembered. Some wonderful examples of the deferential BBC interviewing technique that was standard at the time. Watch out for 'The Woman Wonders Why?' putting the 'feminine point of view' on motoring to Stanley Clarke, organiser of the Earls Court Motor Show. Lovely stuff!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...uggid=p00nf6mc

Steve

Last edited by Colourstar; 30th Mar 2018 at 7:54 am.
Closed Thread