UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2018, 3:44 pm   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: A little help please! Garrard 40B. Dynatron HFC34.

Ah yes, I see it now by comparing the pic in #15 and #18. If the OP goes ahead with the purchase of a cartridge, we can advise as to the wired connector locations later.
BTW, I have not suggested the use of "red generic chinese cheapies", as the ones with a cartridge mount can cost nearly as much as the more recommended AT91.
Old 27th May 2018, 3:59 pm   #22
PsychMan
Octode

What Pickering cartridge was it meant for? A common Pickering cartridge (v15) was rebranded as the Stanton 500 series dj cartridge which is very easy to find on eBay, and produces very nice results. I say rebranded, it’s the same body etc anyway which is what matters here

Last edited by PsychMan; 27th May 2018 at 4:04 pm.
Old 27th May 2018, 10:18 pm   #23
ben
Dekatron

Actually the Pickering and Stanton carts have the metal half inch bracket soldered on slightly differently. I cannot use the white D500 styli on my Pickering because there's a metal 'protrusion' that impedes the rather large white plastic upper section, though the other way round is possible.

Solution: the 500v3 stylus fits both!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pickering v-15-dj.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	163651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stanton_500V3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	163652   Click image for larger version

Name:	stanton 500 al.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	163653  
Old 27th May 2018, 11:07 pm   #24
PsychMan
Octode

Interesting, I hadn’t noticed that. For the OPs purposes he should be able to mount a Stanton there no problem if the slide is for a V15
Old 28th May 2018, 6:11 am   #25
GP49000
Hexode

The Pickering "adapter" was designed to snap into the Garrard C2 cartridge clip. Some judicious prying should remove it. Likely the threads are undamaged. What can be difficult is sourcing the correct screws...I think they are 6BA.
Old 28th May 2018, 10:28 pm   #26
CornishJ
Retired Dormant Member

Folks, thank you all again! What a plethora of information this forum is! I’m just waiting on delivery of the Headshell, see what the deal is there. After that you reckon my best bet is to get an AT91 and go from there?
Old 30th May 2018, 10:47 pm   #27
D_S_J_R
Heptode

The Stanton 500V3 is a smoothie in todays standards and works well in Garrards like these. I don't know the dedicated clip for the C2 I'm afraid but if a standard C2 is used, the screws are an imperial? thread not metric. The weight-spacer pictured helps a lot with ceramic cartridges and maybe the 40B as well, as the counterweight is fixed on this one, relying on a spring for much of the work. Sorry I can't help any more than this. The AT91 (or posher Rega Carbon) is an excellent cartridge (forget the low price for a minute) and at 2g tracking if the arm and trip mechanism is in good order, sounds and measures surprisingly well. Both the above are rather less 'foggy toned' in my opinion than the G850 now.

Dave
Old 12th Jun 2018, 4:53 pm   #28
CornishJ
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all, so the C2 and mount have been delivered (there’s actually 2 Pickering mounts one with a B on and one with a D) I’ve enclosed a pic anyway...

What’s my next step? As you can see the C2 is wired with connectors, the thread looks undamaged too.

Thanks again for all your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E33BDE52-1E48-4702-BBE7-11D2EF26E895.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	164462  
Old 12th Jun 2018, 5:38 pm   #29
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well the next step will be to connect those 4 leads to the 4 pins on your cartridge - assuming you now have bought one. Many suggested you go for the Audio technica AT91.