UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2020, 8:35 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: 1981 Food Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
The problem with '80s plastic 'food processors' is that they are 'tat'.
Use once...
Use twice...
Take to car boot sale...
Same goes for the "Breville" toasted-sandwich-machines that were briefly a must-have kitchen-utensil in the 70s and 80s. I remember back then my mother had one that came with a bunch of horribly-difficult-to-interchange 'waffle plates' so you could give your toasted-sandwiches different burn-marks.

All thrown into the skip when we did my mother's house-clearance.
Old 13th May 2020, 9:05 pm   #22
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: 1981 Food Processor

My Panasonic bread maker is used quite often. I love the smell it gives off whilst in the baking cycle. I have played around with the recipes in the appliance book and can get some really light crusty French type bread out of it as well as some Italian type bread that uses olive oil instead of butter.

I made a really dense loaf once, that was because I forgot to add much water and made a concrete hardened biscuit!!

I have a Kenwood Chef A901 here in full working order with all of its attachments. It was used yesterday to make mashed potato! It is fairly unique as it was one of the engineering prototypes that was given to my dad many years ago. It came with a prototype Thorn microwave oven complete with added thermocouples inside. Was used as the lab experimental and evaluation unit just before domestic microwave ovens were to start taking off. Still going strong!

Christopher Capener
Old 13th May 2020, 10:21 pm   #23
hamid_1
Heptode

I also have a Panasonic breadmaker, bought for £3 at a car boot sale (it was so cheap, I couldn't say "no"!). It's used every week, and makes lovely bread. All you have to do is measure the ingredients accurately, put them in the tray and press START. It does take 3 hours to produce a finished loaf, but it's fully automatic. After pressing START it can be left unattended so you can go off and do something else while it mixes the dough, allows it to rise then bakes it for you, all by itself. A wonderful invention!
Old 14th May 2020, 8:17 am   #24
high_vacuum_house
Octode

My Panasonic bread maker takes 6 hours to make a very light crusty french bread. Most of this time is the resting period and the rising time where the heater slowly warms the dough to about 30’C. Faster rise times make a more dense loaf.

Christopher Capener
Old 14th May 2020, 9:03 am   #25
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
I made a really dense loaf once, that was because I forgot to add much water and made a concrete hardened biscuit!!
I made a superb door-stop once, Chris, when I forgot to put the yeast in!
Old 14th May 2020, 9:13 am   #26
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
I remember the first one that ever appeared in our shop in the early 80s was called a Magimix .

We never thought in a million years it would sell especially alongside the traditional Kenwood Chef, but hey ho , we couldnt get enough of them !!!

I believe they are still in existence today but more the higher end market .
I could not find any Braun food processors locally so replaced my faulty one with a Magimix. It is built like a battleship but only a single bowl and only one speed. Select switch for pulse or continuous. It came with a good range of accessories.
However it is nowhere near as useful as the two bowl variable speed Braun unit and more messy to clean all the bits! I stand the whole thing on a rubber pad. Blue tack could also be used.
Old 14th May 2020, 11:43 am   #27
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
The problem with '80s plastic 'food processors' is that they are 'tat'.
Use once...
Use twice...
Take to car boot sale...
I beg to differ...

Used this morning to prepare tonight's tea (or dinner for posh people) is the Moulinex 350 that was left to me by my wonderful mother in law Emily, who found it slightly odd that a man enjoyed being in the kitchen!

Anyone for monkfish with a chorizo crust?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200514_112247.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	205795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200514_111256.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	205796  

BVWS member
Old 16th May 2020, 1:16 pm   #28
Brigham
Octode

"... my wonderful mother in law Emily, who found it slightly odd that a man enjoyed being in the kitchen!"

She would doubtless have seen what Johnnie had to put up with!
Old 16th May 2020, 4:50 pm   #29
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
I made a superb door-stop once, Chris, when I forgot to put the yeast in!
My mother used to refer to her mother's bread as "door stop bread". Her mother was from the old country and probably didn't use much yeast.
Dave, as usual.
Old 16th May 2020, 4:58 pm   #30
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
You could be right about food processors. I don't think the novelty has worn off about bread makers in the UK, in fact, I was thinking about buying one.
I seem to forget that practices are different in GB than in the US.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 16th May 2020, 7:55 pm   #31
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
"... my wonderful mother in law Emily, who found it slightly odd that a man enjoyed being in the kitchen!"

She would doubtless have seen what Johnnie had to put up with!
My favourite quote of Johnny Cradock was " May all your donuts look like Fanny's".

BVWS member
Old 16th May 2020, 8:32 pm   #32
emeritus
Dekatron

My wife still uses the Kenwood Chefette she got in the mid-1970's. A decade ago the variable speed contol became erratic, but a stripdown and cleaning of the wiper contacts fixed that. We now have my late mother's identical model as a back-up. The only other issues have been the precautionary replacement of the disintegrating Rifa capacitors of both.
Old 17th May 2020, 12:23 am   #33
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
I seem to forget that practices are different in GB than in the US.
Dave, USradcoll1
Kitchenaid seem to be the appliance of choice for the affluent classes here in the UK.
Old 17th May 2020, 9:56 pm   #34
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
I don't think the novelty has worn off about bread makers in the UK, in fact, I was thinking about buying one.
I was given one recently for helping a chap out with a radio repair. His wife had got fed up with him using it and making a mess in the kitchen, so banned its future use. It's in mint condition. I've used it once, but intend to use it again when I get time.

I've got a very old processor from around 1972 up in the loft. It's in very good condition and in its original box - I'll try to retrieve it in the next day or so to give it a run and take a photo.
Old 17th May 2020, 11:28 pm   #35
paulsherwin

I have an early 80s Toshiba food processor inherited from my mother. It does see occasional use, but as Dave said back in #5, it does generate a huge amount of washing up after use, which is a big disincentive to using it.

My breadmaker sees a reasonable amount of use. All the cheap ones seem to be essentially the same, and work equally well. It bakes a decent effort free loaf when I'm in a rush, and can be used to do the hard work of kneading dough before I bake it properly in the oven if I want to make proper bread.
Old 19th May 2020, 9:10 am   #36
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
My favourite quote of Johnny Cradock was " May all your donuts look like Fanny's".
That particular quip was made by Kenneth Horne in a Round The Horne radio show many years ago. They had a character called Fanny Haddock who was played I think by Betty Marsden. She had just given a spoof recipe for making doughnuts. Kenneth Horne summed it up afterwards with something on the lines of.

"Well if all your doughnuts turn out like fanny's then you will know who to blame"
Old 24th May 2020, 5:58 pm   #37
Kentode
Octode

Apparently an urban myth, unless someone knows differently!

From this week's Radio Times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200524_175318.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	206665  

BVWS member
Old 15th Jun 2020, 12:26 pm   #38
nicam49
Hexode

Spoilsport!
We (still) have a Tefal toasted sandwich maker, but it trips the earth leakage breaker when it's got hot. Even had new elements fitted, and soon after started doing the same.
We have and use most days, a Philips food processor bought in 1986 The plastic bowl has so many vertical fractures in it, but is still holding together., how I don't know. All I've had to do over the years with it is remake off the plug a few times.
Closed Thread