UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2020, 9:06 am   #381
philoupat83
Pentode

Default Re: MK14 schematic revisions

hello
to timbucus which display you used your replica is superb
Old 10th May 2020, 9:09 am   #382
philoupat83
Pentode

yes JLPCB is not expensive I intend to make them the pcb of PIC14 v2 of KAREN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic14v3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	205389  
Old 10th May 2020, 9:09 am   #383
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I think that large display is one of the optional extras offered by JMP in the UK.

I will look into ordering a batch of PCBs later today, as long as the process (especially payment) seems safe. It helps that I know Slothie has already used them without any apparent issue.
Old 10th May 2020, 9:15 am   #384
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoupat83 View Post
I intend for them to make the V2 PCB of Karen's PIC14
I don't know if you mean to make your design public domain or to sell them, but I am sure Karen would probably appreciate one if you have any left over.
Old 10th May 2020, 9:27 am   #385
Timbucus
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I think that large display is one of the optional extras offered by JMP in the UK.

I will look into ordering a batch of PCBs later today, as long as the process (especially payment) seems safe. It helps that I know Slothie has already used them without any apparent issue.
It was actually sold by a trader on e-bay called trev_ham https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/trev-ham who offered after market parts for the JMP board (Display filter for traditional displays, the large display, Physical Key tops which I did mean to buy) and also the Acorn System 1 board. He does not seem to have a presence at the moment but, if you want one I am sure if you contact through the above link him he might be able to help.
Old 10th May 2020, 10:51 am   #386
Slothie
Octode

Quote:
Yes, broadly, I mean all its arms and legs are attached. It looks OK in the JLCPCB preview.

I didn't go further yet because I would have had to create a sign-in / profile. I'll do that when I am feeling a bit more alert.
Well I just spent several hours trying to get the zip files uploaded to JLCPCB and finally worked out the correct incantation to get my phone to select the zip files!
The result from this effort is that both the file downloaded from the forum and from Bitbucket produce the right PCB in the preview and pick up the board dimensions correctly from the zip file. So I'm a little puzzled. I used Chrome browser - what browser did you use?
Old 10th May 2020, 11:05 am   #387
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Chrome. (On a desktop PC - I don't use a phone to access the 'net unless I am absolutely desperate).

The first one I tried to upload was one that I saved locally to HDD because I wasn't sure how long you intended to leave it up on bitbucket, or whether that source would just automatically time out. Despite having the same date and same file size the JLCPCB website did not fully accept that saved version.

The second one I uploaded was the one you posted in the VDU thread, saved to my HDD and then immediately uploaded to the site. That worked fully, supplying the dimensions as well.

It might be that the first version was perfectly OK as well and something just went a little bit wrong at the first upload attempt. Maybe if I had attempted to upload it again it would have gone in properly. Not having done it before, I didn't know whether it was normal to be expected to define the dimensions separately. (Which is why I came and asked).
Old 10th May 2020, 11:50 am   #388
Slothie
Octode

Well I am desperate because I haven't had my hands on a proper PC in eight months At least now I know the files do still work and it seems JLCPCB have got a bit cheaper!
For my first order I got free shipping so once you've created your profile, if they're doing that the PCB's will be really cheap for you!
Old 10th May 2020, 1:06 pm   #389
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Looking back through this now ancient thread - it is probably mentioned in the Domesday book somewhere - I notice your original 5 PCBs cost you £18 including free shipping. I have no idea that will also be applied to me, we'll just have to see.
Old 10th May 2020, 1:22 pm   #390
philoupat83
Pentode

Hello to all
yes the pcb will be public i ordered 5 on jlpcb (very well no problem of payment paypal control of the pcb etc) as I would have tested it I could put the file on site or sent what I will have left to you
Old 10th May 2020, 1:31 pm   #391
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Thanks for that assurance regarding JLCPCB.

I was thinking mainly that Karen could have one of your PIC14 V2 PCBs, it is probably the least anyone can do after the work she put in creating the PIC14 project.
Old 10th May 2020, 1:53 pm   #392
Slothie
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoupat83 View Post
Hello to all
yes the pcb will be public i ordered 5 on jlpcb (very well no problem of payment paypal control of the pcb etc) as I would have tested it I could put the file on site or sent what I will have left to you
It would be great if you put the design files and or gerber files on the forum (perhaps on its own thread?) Because a number of people including myself would like to build one sometime.
Old 10th May 2020, 3:03 pm   #393
philoupat83
Pentode

I will create a thread for the design of this wonderful processor learning tool
Old 10th May 2020, 4:35 pm   #394
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

It's done, I have ordered a batch of 5 'MK14 issue VI" PCBs - I didn't get free 'new guy' discount or carriage, possibly because the site recognised that these PCBs have been submitted to it before.

The site initially added the price for fastest possible carriage which gave me a bit of a heart attack - cost was about three times the cost of the PCBs, but then I backed it down to the slowest, most basic option and it settled down to a more soothing ~£25 for the PCBs + carriage. I may still be hit with duty on top of that, of course.

So now I'm in a race against Slothie to be the first to build one of his issue VI PCBs!
Old 10th May 2020, 4:50 pm   #395
Slothie
Octode

Quote:
So now I'm in a race against Slothie to be the first to build one of his issue VI PCBs!
Well my money's on you winning. It could be many months before I get access to my tools and parts!
Old 10th May 2020, 4:58 pm   #396
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Tim will get one as soon as I have them, so we may end up in a three-way race.

Now, we just have to wait.
Old 10th May 2020, 5:19 pm   #397
Timbucus
Octode

Better finish some of my other projects then - looking forward to this as I have held off doing my VDU until I had a better connection for it as well.
Old 11th May 2020, 6:59 pm   #398
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

MY RAMs finally made it here. I sincerely hope they were worth all the trouble and expense.

Unfortunately the RAM in my real MK14 is not socketed so I can't just put them in that and test them. My device programmer has a chip test mode which can check most 74xx series logic, most 4xxx series logic and quite a few RAMs including 2114s, but not 2111s.

I'm considering making an adaptor to make a 2111 'look' like a 2114. It depends what the test does - if just writes a value to address aaaa and reads it straight back from address aaaa then moves onto the next address, then I could probably rig an adaptor which would make it run through a 2111 four times, all the while thinking it is testing a 2114 once.
Old 11th May 2020, 7:15 pm   #399
philoupat83
Pentode

a 2114 ram tester that I have already used can be modified for 2111
https://github.com/Danjovic/2114-Tester
Old 11th May 2020, 9:41 pm   #400
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I love it when this happens.

I have already 'installed' it, I will modify it for 2111. First I will make myself an 18-pin socket to Arduino adaptor so that the connections will be reliable.
Closed Thread