UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2020, 8:52 am   #21
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: Friedland Westminster Door Chime

My Godparents in Cardiff had a Friedland 603 Westminster too and I absolutely loved it as a kid. Not long before they moved they changed it for a bog standard ringing doorbell - not nearly as interesting.
I found this link to one...
https://www.electrachime.net/compact...ctric-maestro/
Old 10th May 2020, 8:58 am   #22
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
I've never seen a 603, apparently it's the chime in the intro of Paul McCartney's "Let 'Em In'".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IgNlwCxjuA
Old 10th May 2020, 6:45 pm   #23
David G
Diode

Thanks to all for your response. Yes, my initial hook-up was as rambo1152 suggested; 1&2 direct from transformer and 4 & 5 from the bell push. This was a trial with loose wiring, and I touched 5 with wire, got a couple of small sparks and then the chime run. It would not repeat until I reconnected loosely but when I hard wired nothing. I've been having problems with my multimeter so have ordered a new one which will arrive this Friday, so at this time I'm not sure if the transformer is working or the chime solenoid has been damaged, I have wait and see. The chime was very similar to that heard by David Moll with reference to "Let 'Em In", a full Westminster chime.
Old 10th May 2020, 10:21 pm   #24
Robsradio
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Hi David, and welcome.

I've never seen a 603, apparently it's the chime in the intro of Paul McCartney's "Let 'Em In'".

I found this image of the connections.
So, 1&2 direct from the 12 (or 16V)AC from the transformer,
and the bell push to 4 & 5.

Is that the way you've wired it? Four wires?
I seem to remember ‘George and Mildred’ sitcom had this for their front door ring.
Old 13th May 2020, 7:04 pm   #25
David G
Diode

Many thanks to all who offered assistance in getting my Friedland Westminster Chime #603 working again. The problem was the transformer, once replaced the Chime worked as it has for the last 40 years. Again, many, many thanks to all
Old 14th May 2020, 1:35 am   #26
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Here's a thought, the tempo of your chime on 60Hz mains should be noticeably faster than the recording of "Let 'Em In". The album was called Wings at the Speed of Sound, which seems appropriate.

Of course that doesn't preclude any tape trickery at Abby Rd.
Closed Thread