UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2009, 9:07 pm   #1
yesnaby
Octode

Default 'Roberts' radio - what do these bits do?

Hello,

Having fun with this radio that works on VHF but not on MW/LW.

Does anyone recognise the chassis, for which I have no circuit?

Also, what is the purpose of the three 'things' that stick out from the PCB at odd angles? They look like very miniature ferrite rods with a rigid rod having two lots of extremely fine copper windings. Two of the upper windings have short stubs suggesting they were once connected to something. One even has a fragment of fabric insulation on it. (I checked the similarly fine wires coming from the big ferrite rod, but these seem to be intact.)

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0876.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	27746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0877.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	27747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0878.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	27748   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0879.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	27749  
Old 6th Aug 2009, 9:21 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 'Roberts' radio - what do these bits do?

They look like the type of trimmers that Philips were once famous for, the idea is to unwind the wire until the capacity is correct and then leave well alone........ .

Regards, Mick.
Old 6th Aug 2009, 9:28 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I may be wrong, but I suspect they are trimmer capacitors/inductors, in which the capacitance(and inductance!) is varied by adding/removing turns of wire to/from the winding. They are probably part of the VHF Tuner circuit, rather than the MW/LW side.
I don't recognise the model, though, so can offer no help there

PS- Mickjo beat me to it by about 5 minutes- is this a case of 'great minds thinking alike', not that I have a partiicularly great mind!!. Anyhow, Mick, of course those 'iductive caps'(or 'capacitive inductors') were one of Philips' many 'different' ways of doing things-another being the 'Beehive' Trimmers.

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 6th Aug 2009 at 9:34 pm. Reason: To add further comments!
Old 6th Aug 2009, 9:46 pm   #4
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Many thanks to you both, this has shed some light on the subject.

I'll have a go at fixing it, but don't feel inclined to spend too much time - I would do if it was a 'proper' Roberts. And there is no means of illuminating the scale, so it is not as 'pretty' as the real thing.

Michael
Old 6th Aug 2009, 10:11 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Looks sort of late 60's to early 70's judging by the style of components. Some of the transistors look like Mullard/Philips BF194/195 or possibly BC148 types and those ceramic 'pin-up' capacitors with the coloured bands were also Philips/Mullard from about the same period.

Yes, those strange things are trimmers.

Rich.