UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2012, 10:18 pm   #21
Station X

Default Re: Gramophone restoration

Rims have been shrunk on to wooden cart wheels for hundreds of years, possibly thousands.

I don't think the turntable ring is shrunk on though. The pressed mild steel platter wouldn't stand the contraction forces.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Oct 2012, 12:40 am   #22
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

When cutting velvet, why not paint a hard glue arond your cutting line before cutting?

Soft copydex and shears could make a helluva mess, though.

David
Because you need a "soft" edge when pushing the velvet into the groove. Remember that using the back of a knife neccesitates pushing the velvet in double thickness until it gets past the opening, at which point it opens out flat into the groove. Hard adhesive would "crack" and not give a perfectly smooth edge, and would probably stain the material, especially velvet. If using felt, no adhesive is used, as it doesn't fray. There is no mess at all with Copydex, it's smeared on very thinly, dries completely in about ten minutes, and is clear, so you can still see the cutting line. When cut, it leaves no trace on the scissors. You could of course, cut the velvet very precisely and when the edge is stuck all round, lift the very edge and "post" it into the slot, but it tends to buckle, and leaves a "crinkly" edge. It's far more trouble than the method I use, to no advantage.

Barry

Last edited by Audio1950; 30th Oct 2012 at 12:54 am.
Old 30th Oct 2012, 1:04 am   #23
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I would suggest that the turntable was spun. Probably it was initially spun over an internal former and given a dish shape. Then it would be reversed, mounted onto an internal former and the edge spun back to form the 'U' shape.
This certainly seems to be the answer, Graham. I've just re-examined the turntable closely, and there are definately no joins and only one thickness of metal throughout, apart from the addition of the centre boss.

Barry
Old 30th Oct 2012, 6:38 pm   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Barry,
I really hope your customer realizes the work you have done on that heap of rubbish. Great job. Well done. John.
Old 31st Oct 2012, 12:00 am   #25
Michael Maurice

I'm sure the lady will appreciate the work that has gone into this.

I dont have any experience of this sort of record player so I didn't want to get involved with it.

Very well done Barry, it is a testament to the skills and resources that we members of this forum have.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 31st Oct 2012, 9:55 am   #26
Radio Wrangler

Thanks, Barry.

Yeah, I see, hard glue wouldn't work. It's a trick I've used for cutting shapes without fraying, but those pieces were going to stay flat.

Metal spinning is another art from the ancients and it's very successful.

I assume the manufacturers had a simple press tool to shove the felt into the groove all the way round at once?

David
Old 31st Oct 2012, 11:10 am   #27
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

I assume the manufacturers had a simple press tool to shove the felt into the groove all the way round at once?
I assume so, yes. That would have also pulled the material taut and flat. I'd never given a thought as to how these were manufactured until now. Fascinating stuff!

Barry
Old 31st Oct 2012, 6:35 pm   #28
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

There is a short film that was shown at cinemas in the 1930's. It was made at the EMI works at Hayes and shows gramophone turntables being stamped out with a massive press. I think it is called 'This is the home of the radiogramophone' but I'm not certain of this. Many shorts were made at the EMI works, all fascinating stuff! John.
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 2:51 pm   #29
Tazman1966
Nonode

Talk about reviving a basket case! Very well done indeed
Closed Thread