UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2011, 4:53 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Bush TR82B - 1959

Seeing that there were five of these awaiting attention, I naturally picked the one in worst condition, believe me this was beyond filthy!

I had intended using this as parts as it was so rough, but I stuck in a battery, and it worked. I also noticed this is an early set as it had a very low serial No.

These early sets use the reliable "OC" series of transistors, rather than the dreaded "AF xxx" series that grow whiskers and die

On the upside, the chassis mountings were perfect (these are a weak spot on these sets) and the handle was nice and straight.

So, to work, I removed the chassis after the nail biting task of removing the tuning dial, Bush recommend a sink plunger for the task!
A better way is to get a loop of wire under the dial and gently pull.
But this one would not budge, so I removed the chassis screws and gently pulled the chassis away from the case, this worked a treat, and it came off intact.

As this was so filthy, I totally dismantled the case, the front of the set is held by a few screws, as is the top panel.
After removing the front, I gently prised of the brass trims from the main cabinet and scrubbed clean the various parts using spray kitchen cleaner, this got rid of the muck, but the cabinet parts were dull and stained. I gave the plastic parts a thorough polish with T-cut, this is hard work, but resulted in a nice shiny finish and also removed most of the stains.

The brass trim was the worst I have seen and took nearly 2 hours with a rag and some brasso, but came up as new, the BUSH letters were bent, so I had to straighten them with small pliers.

After re-assembling the cabinet, I turned my attention to the chassis, it was cleaned first with a paint brush and hoover, then cleaned with a moist rag.

All that needed attention electrically, was the wavechange switch and the tone control, these both got a good dose of Servisol, which did the trick

I replaced the chassis in the cabinet, fitted a battery and it worked perfectly, in spite of having all its original capacitors!

I do have a soft spot for these sets, they are well built on an aluminium chassis (no PCB's here) and perform well with good battery life and are a true classic design.

While it now looks great, it does have its scars, but not to bad for a 52 year old portable.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before1.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	54970   Click image for larger version

Name:	before2.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	54971   Click image for larger version

Name:	before3.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	54972   Click image for larger version

Name:	before4.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	54973   Click image for larger version

Name:	before5.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	54974  

Old 11th Aug 2011, 5:04 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TR82B - 1959

And the "after" photos.....

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aftera.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	54975   Click image for larger version

Name:	afterb.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	54976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Afterc.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	54977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Afterd.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	54978  
Old 11th Aug 2011, 5:54 pm   #3
neil29
Heptode

Hi Mark. what a transformation from the before to after pics. I bet you did not need to use the handle to carry it before you cleaned it as probably stuck to your hand . cheers neil.
Old 11th Aug 2011, 8:52 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Does the tone control work? Mine doesn't and I don't think it uses a Hunts!
Old 11th Aug 2011, 9:18 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

Neil, you are quite right, this set was disgusting, you should have seen the colour of the water in the sink after cleaning it . I can't remember where I got it from, but it must have been very cheap or free!

I now have four identical sets, but this was the worst of them, but I am very reluctant to scrap a working set, this one has a serial No of 04969, making it the oldest of my collection. I have an MB60 and several TR82C's including some later models with the dreaded AF117's.
I just need the model with the 208 (Luxembourg) button to complete the set.

Tim, I have never had a problem with the tone control with any of my sets, even with those nasty Hunts in situ, unlike valve sets, they don't seem to cause many problems in these. But another of my TR82's has a totally seized volume pot to deal with, but is does work!

Mark
Old 15th Aug 2011, 8:04 pm   #6
JoshWard
Octode

Yuck! Must have taken a lot of effort to clean that up!

What a transformation though, it looks great. Just need the TR82B, VTR103, MB60 and the 208 and I've got the full set too
Old 26th Aug 2012, 8:29 pm   #7
skodajag
Pentode

Is the model with the 208 button very rare? I ask because I think I know where there may be one for sale.
Old 26th Aug 2012, 8:42 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

There was two; TR82CL and TR82DL. The former is common, the latter less common but hardly rare. Neither version is really anymore valuable than a standard TR82, not least because the 208 function is effectively useless these days although they can be retuned within a limited range.
Old 28th Aug 2012, 11:47 am   #9
GJR 11L
Heptode

I do love a good TR82B and that appears to be a good one there. It's amazing just how much difference the simple stuff such as a good valet can make. Well done, lovely job.

Josh, you should also add the export versions - including the hybrid - to your list, these three are surely the very least common of the entire range.
There are threads here, here and finally here.

It took me a wee while to find the EBM60 but the rest do crop up occasionally.
Old 29th Aug 2012, 12:24 pm   #10
howard
Nonode

Well done Mark

That is quite a transformation and the TR82Bs with their brass trim I think are the nicest of the TR82s.

There's one in very good condition for sale in a charity shop just down the road from me, I am very tempted to acquire it now.

Howard
Old 29th Aug 2012, 1:48 pm   #11
camtechman
Nonode

Howard, is your desire driven by Want or Need?
Old 29th Aug 2012, 4:34 pm   #12
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
Howard, is your desire driven by Want or Need?
Well it's not Need !

I had a good look at it yesterday and it really is a good one. I said I'd go back and put a battery in it to see if it works and to clean the pots, it should work as it has OC78 transistors like this one rather than AF117s. If it works then I guess I might take it or the shop can sell it for a decent price as a nice original and working TR82B and raise more funds for their charity. I'll probably do the latter as I have several TR82Bs already.

Howard
Old 1st Sep 2012, 6:02 pm   #13
Wellington
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: Bush TR82B - 1959

That's an amazing transformation, Mark. Nice job!

But something is troubling me. In your 'after' photos, a mysterious shiny disc has appeared in the middle of the tuning dial! How did that get there?
Old 4th Sep 2012, 7:51 pm   #14
mark pirate
Dekatron

I am glad you like it. It really was a rough set, but it deserved to be bought back to an acceptable example. I have just got a equally bad Bush Merlin from the late sixties, this set also works well but is very cosmetically challenged!

Mark
Old 19th Sep 2012, 8:42 am   #15
Ryan_1993
Hexode

That was filthy. It actually looks like its spent 52 years at the bottom of a lake on the before shots.

My grandparents gave me theirs last year; it's currently on display at the top of my shelving unit. On closer inspection mine is a bit tatty and battered. I guess that's what you get though, with it being the decorating radio for many years.
Closed Thread