UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2011, 9:01 pm   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default R106 MK11 (HRO) + Coils, Help with ID

I have a R106 MK11 Reception Set, the National Logo say's it's a HRO 5T, the coils that came with it are all general coverage, being JA, JB,JC and JD also with it are coils E,F,G,H and J. The ID plates on the front of all the coils are nickle plated and are enraved in black, there is an arrow on them not dissimilar ro a WD arrow and all the wording/numbers etc are all sideways ie: you have to tip the coil pack on it's end to read it normally, they all have a ser no. engraved on them and all 9 coils have this same number which is MRO/051, the other number on the ID plate is an engraved ref. no. they start with 110D/ and carry on with a set of numbers, on the E to J coils it's a two digit number and they all run consecutively, on the JA to JD coils it's a three digit number they don't run consecutively but they are not far out. The coils are in a proper box painted grey and dovetailed it holds all 9 coils and has a hinged lid with a strip of felt fixed on the inside of the lid to stop the coils rattling about.
Any one help, was the R106 MK11 issued to just the UK or did the Americans have that same designation as well ?
Have tried the usual HRO Google Search.
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:18 am   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: R106 MK11 (HRO) + Coils, Help with ID

Being an R prefix i personally will say UK only,but stand to be corrected!

David GM8JET
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:28 am   #3
Station X

There is plenty of information on this set in Wireless for the Warrior volume 3.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd May 2011, 1:43 pm   #4
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

The R106 was the version typed for the UK Army, it is a HRO5 which tended to be Rack mounted in cabinet not a table model. the valves should be metal not glass and the crystal for the crystal filter is inside a housing not on the outside of IF can.

The US military typed units were typed as RAS units, i have never seen an example over here ( for what it is worth).

The R106 units did use the general coverage coil packs as did the HRO5 as opposed to bandspread. Most had 0 to 1ma meters fitted for S meters instead of the HRO brown dial face meters. This was due to the shortage of meters in the war , it is believed by some that Hammarlund supplied the proper S meters.

I love the HRO receiver, it is a great design and very useable even on today's bands.

Mike

Last edited by MichaelR; 23rd May 2011 at 1:45 pm. Reason: addition
Old 23rd May 2011, 2:59 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Yes, they are one my favourites as well, in my opinion they got that receiver correct from day one, simple design,simple layout, plug in coil pack (no birdies!) accurate logging dial, dos not get hot (only when a waxey cooks) and a notch filter to boot, I could go on but I won't. Another of my favourites are the early Hallicrafters SX receivers, not as pleasant to look at inside but boy once that clockwork bandspread mech has been overhualed, greased etc it tunes like silk and just the right spread, great for ssb reception.
Any way back to the R106 ID thanks for the replies and help, yes Mike the one I have does have the white m/a meter and the xtal in the box and you are correct in that it is a table model as the 5T suffix suggests, to be honest I have not long had this one and have never had that model before (most were earlier Seniors) one thing I have noticed since my first post is that some of the coil packs and most of the receiver have been tropicalised, the treatment bearing the American Signal Corps specification stamp.
Old 23rd May 2011, 5:08 pm   #6
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

I would like to own some of the later HRO models like the 50 or the 60. This weekend I have been enjoying using my Collins R390A , absolutely superb receiver which outperforms my Kenwood TS2000 and that has a pretty damn good receiver.

Another good receiver from the US is the Hammarlund SP600J, I got rid of mine when I got the R390A up and running

Mike
Closed Thread