UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2009, 8:10 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default The First & The Last

Some members know that I worked for Ever Ready UK as their one & only Radio Service Engineer in the 1980s.

During that time Ever Ready had a stab at selling radios again but only ventured with 3 models (all made in Malaysia). These were the: Skyranger, Skytime & Skyleader (Note: The model name was not split as were their earlier models e.g: Sky Leader versus Skyleader)

I left the company, just before Ever Ready went "Belly-Up" but during my time there, I hadn't bothered to acquire an example of each model as I didn't consider them as worthwhile then.

However, when I later became re-interested in collecting radios & the like, I regretted not having them, especially from a nostalic point of view. After all it was part of my life and it's nearly 30 years since they were first proposed.

Having now acquired one of each of the 3 'new' models and serviced them all to the higher spec/mod levels that was introduced after the initial launch, it has now inspired me to collect some of Ever Ready's older transistor portable radios.

And so, I now present a pair of Sky Leader/Skyleaders, which I've just completed.

The Sky Leader is the 1957 Ally Chassis one and the Skyleader is the last production run, 1982 version.

So, I believe the pair represent the first & last of Ever Ready's "Sky Leader/Skyleader" portable transistor radios.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever Ready Sky Leader.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	24485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever Ready Skyleader.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	24486  
Old 10th Apr 2009, 9:04 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: The First & The Last

Ah right,

I know who to ask about problems with Ever Ready radios now

Your early red Sky Leader is nicely restored Maybe a blue one next ? I've seen the later model appear on ebay a few times, I was tempted but it doesn't quite have the same appeal for me as the early British built sets.

Howard
Old 10th Apr 2009, 9:15 pm   #3
camtechman
Nonode

Howard,

I don't know if you remember one of my earlier threads about bringing back the colour to a Bush TR 82?

Well, after cleaning the covering on the Sky Leader with your recommended Halfords Fabric Restorer, I used the same method again to bring it up to near new.....Some Isopropyl Alcohol on a cloth and a slow wipe over. It really brings the colour back.
Old 10th Apr 2009, 9:20 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Nice sets - well, the Malaysian one's an acquired taste, but as nobody's around I'll admit to owning one too And so far as I'm aware the Skytime's the only clock radio ever to employ a PP9, though someone may know better...

In case it's of interest your Sky Leader isn't quite representative of earliest production, though the visible differences are minor indeed. These details are from a boxed example I was lucky enough to pick up from a flea market a while back, serial SLR007512. A slightly different badge design, and note the absence of the handy little depression behind the wavechange buttons: there must have been complaints about the difficulty of opening the back!

Regards,
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1904A.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	24489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1901A.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	24490  
Old 10th Apr 2009, 9:25 pm   #5
camtechman
Nonode

Thanks for that Paul, very interesting...just what a pedant like me enjoys..."details, feed me details"
Old 10th Apr 2009, 10:35 pm   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I bought the 'Berec Demon' variation new in the '50s, cost me about two weeks wages! They were the first transistor portable with anything like decent sound quality. I improved the output somewhat by replacing the OC72s with OC78s. I had it for years until my wife dropped it and broke the ferrite rod.
Closed Thread