UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2020, 10:20 pm   #1
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Shower element for dummy load

I replaced the electric shower on Christmas Day, nothing wrong with it you understand, been working fine for 35 years but it looked a bit tired and I couldn't think of a sensible present for SWMBO so I had bought an absolutely super new shower. Anyway, while putting the old one in the bin I thought to extract the heater bit for examination and found it has two sections which are used in ||el for a nominal 7kW.

The sections are 20Ω and 15Ω respectively, which means it can be used as a load at either 35Ω (VSWR < 1.2 at 50Ω) or 8.6Ω for audio. Prolonged high-power operation might require some water flow

I don't anticipate any requirement for a QRO load, if anyone is looking for such an item

It's good here
Old 1st Jan 2020, 10:25 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Shower element for dummy load

For HF use I'd be worried that the capacitance between the inner heating-core and the outer metal sheath could mean it presented as something other than a purely resistive load.
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 10:09 am   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Pure 35 Ohm resistive is not as good as 1.2:1 VSWR

Closer to 1.5:1 but with the inductance and capacitance present that is probably meaningless unless down at low frequencies.
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 11:00 am   #4
BRASSBITS
Hexode

what make is the old shower unit
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 11:21 am   #5
Julesomega
Nonode

Sadia Heatrae. It originally had a touch switch but that failed and I replaced it with a very well insulated push switch

It's good here
Closed Thread