UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2019, 4:07 pm   #1
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Default Xmas present to myself

Amongst my various interests I collect valves, mainly early and pre-broadcast era but also ones with visual appeal. I have just added an impressive valve to my collection, an STC 4212E. I have attached a photo of it alongside an R-valve and it's big, too tall for the cabinet I use for display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4212E-s.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	195606  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 8:56 pm   #2
AndyWithStuff
Triode

Default Re: Xmas present to myself

Thats really quite sculptural, I can see the aesthetic value of that, its difficult to tell how big it is with no size reference but going on the wall tiles I'd guess 2 feet?
Old 19th Dec 2019, 9:06 pm   #3
line sync
Heptode

That's a very impressive valve , I like it.

Robin
Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:36 pm   #4
Red to black
Nonode

That truly looks both a feat of engineering and a work of art I am suitably impressed
Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:56 pm   #5
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWithStuff View Post
Thats really quite sculptural, I can see the aesthetic value of that, its difficult to tell how big it is with no size reference but going on the wall tiles I'd guess 2 feet?
There's an R-valve next to it to the right as a means of judging size. It is so much larger than the R-valve it is easy to miss it!
Old 20th Dec 2019, 12:13 am   #6
Vintage_RC
Heptode

This is part of the description on the Science Museum website (they have one in their collection) :-

"STC 4212 E triode valve from Daventry short-wave transmitter, made by Standard Telephones and Cables Limited, England, 1925-1970.

This valve was taken from the first short-wave radio transmitter to be installed at Daventry in 1932"

Last edited by Vintage_RC; 20th Dec 2019 at 12:18 am. Reason: typo
Old 20th Dec 2019, 10:10 am   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I thought that might be a transmitting Valve, Alan.
Old 20th Dec 2019, 11:48 am   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/125/4/4212E.pdf

.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Dec 2019, 6:45 pm   #9
ionburn
Heptode

A good specimen and lovely idea. I cannot see her indoors accepting it though LOL
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 7:16 pm   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

To Alan & any other special valve enthusiasts - I put out a lot of Forum thread info on an STC4212D back in 2015(25th Sept. "NOS STC4212D For Sale") & (7th Oct. "Testing the STC4212D Triode").
It was eventually flogged on eBay, but not for £500, but still for a fair wack. An amazing big rare valve & I enjoyed building the one-off testing rig.

Regards, David
Old 24th Dec 2019, 12:03 pm   #11
Vintage_RC
Heptode

I took a chance when purchasing the STC 4212E as the seller listed it as having a small misty area on the inside of the envelope which probably put many potential buyers off as they might be suspecting loss of vacuum. Also I asked if the filament had continuity but the seller (who turned out to be a very pleasant lady) had no way of testing it. I ended up getting it at her opening price of £50, on arrival the misty area was where the getter had be fired and the filament was good, in fact the valve looks new and unused. I doubt I will try it in operation but it must be impressive as a bright emitter with a filament rating of 14V at 6A (ie 84W!). There is a short video of one in a high power audio amplifier her:-
https://youtu.be/8LUIeZJEoAk
Old 24th Dec 2019, 12:13 pm   #12
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Just took a look at your example David, it looks as if it had a magnesium getter which is unusual for these valves, perhaps a late example as they were made over a very long period.
Old 24th Dec 2019, 3:34 pm   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I had one of these valves in mint condition but never seen again after house move along with other things.
Old 24th Dec 2019, 3:59 pm   #14
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

When I was a student we spent some time playing with real comms/radar equipment and I can remember seeing inside a Marconi Commander HF transmitter. Inside was a huge transmitting valve and it looked fantastic. I wish I could have taken a picture because my memory of what it all looked like is quite fuzzy now. I only had a few seconds to look inside.

Also, in my first job at Marconi I can remember looking inside the boxes of spares in the transmitter huts at Great Baddow. One of them was hut 37 if I recall correctly. There were some huge and very pretty valves carefully stored in crunched up paper inside wooden boxes. I'm not sure if they were RF valves or something to do with a modulator but they were very big and very beautiful. Hopefully they have been looked after because I suspect that the transmitters and also the huts will be long gone by now.