UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2014, 1:02 pm   #1
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Sony TC-K611S

I had this machine in for repair fault was the door wouldn't open. So I changed the mech drive belt (no easy task) put it back together and was rewarded with a door that opened but now no play or other functions, just the mechanism shuffling back and forth and it was then it hit me.........Mode switch, just like video recorders the mode switch was dirty and causing a similar situation I had seen many times in modern videos so complete strip down needed and it was such a ****** to do I thought I would take pictures of the re assembly to help anyone else seeing a similar model with this deck or even this model.

Start by opening the door (catch at top of the deck and can be actuated by hand) and remove the door front by sliding upwards. Unplug the wiring to the deck, 3 plugs on the main board and 3 on the top of the deck. Remove the 2 screws at the top and 2 underneath all with arrows pointing to them.
Tilt the deck back at the top and remove it complete.
Remove the cassette door by releasing the spring unit on the side and then the pin which is held on by a plastic circlip/washer.
Remove the reel cover by undoing the 2 black screws lift and release from the 2 clips on the lower edge, don't forget to unplug the 2 pin connector for the cassette lamp.
Remove the small plastic clip from the F/R pulley, don't lose it cos its very small , lift the idler off.
Now turn the deck over and remove the 3 screws (2 black and a gold one) that hold the capstan motor plate on. Unplug the motor and remove it saving the belt. Remove the capstan flywheel.
Now you can see the deck control & F/R motor plate this is held in by 4 gold coloured screws, undo them all noting the earth wire on the top corner one.
Lift the motor board watching out for bits falling out, the door interlock lever fell out and it took me ages to work out where it went. Also the mech drive motor pulley and cog fall out as they come off with the motor.
Turn the motor plate over and you will see the mode switch (grey round unit above the motor spindles)
Desolder the switch and remove the 2 screws you can then pop it open and clean the tracks, also re tension the fingers and clean them.
Remount the switch and don't forget to resolder it!
Make sure the slot on the switch is pointing away from the motors as shown in the picture, Put the belt on the drive pulley then put the cog in. Make sure the but cam has the pin in the same position as in the picture, this is what meshes with the mode switch so its important it in in the right position.
Place the motor plate back on but don't stick the screws in yet as you have to lift it slightly to get the drive belt in the motor pulley, I use a spring hook to tease it into position, now double check the pin is meshed with the slot on the switch and the lower white bar is located in the cam follower and the cam follower is located in its slot of the cam as in the picture. Screw the motor plate down, don't forget the earth wire.
Next put the capstan flywheel back and locate the belt on it, put the belt on the capstan motor pulley and lower the motor into position and replace the 3 screws not forgetting to replace the cable clip on one of them.
The rest is the reverse of stripping down.
I like to test it before putting it in by just connecting the 3 white connectors on the top of the deck and seeing if it all functions before replacing the cassette door as that is a bit fiddly to do and its easier to check it first.
Hopefully this will help any one doing this job and save a little time, it took me ages to work it all out as there's very little about it on the net.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 012.jpg
Views:	1440
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	87385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 011.jpg
Views:	2305
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	87386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	1815
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	87387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Views:	1755
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	87388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 008.jpg
Views:	1840
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	87389  

Last edited by nigelr2000; 3rd Jan 2014 at 1:18 pm. Reason: missed out a bit
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 1:03 pm   #2
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Re: Sony TC-K611S

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	2160
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	87390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	1630
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	87391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	1476
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	87392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	1604
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	87393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	1535
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	87394  

Old 3rd Jan 2014, 1:04 pm   #3
nigelr2000
Heptode

Last 2 pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	3057
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	87395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	1709
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	87396  
Old 5th Jan 2014, 6:41 pm   #4
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

You are a brave man. Excellent job.
Old 20th Feb 2014, 9:45 pm   #5
Station X

One off topic post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=103906

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Aug 2015, 1:51 pm   #6
JefUKHiFi
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: Sony TC-K611S

Thanks very much for the instructions and the photographs. Your guide, and the Sony service manual (such as it is), enabled me to replace the drive belts and pinch rollers to restore a TC-K611S back to first class working order again.

I had forgotten just how good the TC-K611S is. I was going to sell it, but now after the repair I am keeping it!
Old 31st Jul 2016, 11:02 am   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

One post moved here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=128405
Closed Thread