UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2015, 8:58 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Minimitter Car Radio Converter

Folks, I've already scrolled through the threads shown on "Search", but nothing on this wee gem. Those other threads are on M/M's range of larger Tx's & Rx's.
Mobile-wise, this we converter is connected to a car radio set at 1.5MHz, and enables the user to receive 5 amateur bands :- 3.5, 7, 14, 21, & 28 MHz.
Does anyone have a circuit diagram &/or manual please?
It'll work on Mains also.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minimitter Front.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	113536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Minimitter Rear.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	113537  
Old 27th Sep 2015, 9:07 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Minimitter Car Radio Converter

Using a car-radio mobile as the "IF" stage and audio-demodulator was kinda-commonplace back in the 1950s and 1960s when AM was still being used a lot.
[And again in the late-70s/early-80s when US 23-channel AM CB rigs were imported and people wanted to tune in to CB on their car radios]

Does your Minimitter converter have a crystal or is it free-tuned?

What voltages does it need?

What valvs are in there?? From the mid-50s onwards, there were plenty of radios that used "12-volt HT" valves [ECH83/EF97/EF98 etc] which were actually specially-selected versions of the likes of the 'mains HT' ECH81 etc that were chosen because they were at the upper end of the performance-spec for their class].

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 27th Sep 2015 at 9:13 pm.
Old 27th Sep 2015, 9:34 pm   #3
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Apologies, but I don't know where this info came from:-

Regards
Pete
Attached Files
File Type: pdf minimitter.pdf (626.2 KB, 454 views)
Old 27th Sep 2015, 9:54 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

RSGB I think.I seem to remember adverts for these in the 60,s.
Old 27th Sep 2015, 10:24 pm   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

Only just been given this wee set. Great weather this weekend, so outside jobs take priority. But it wont last, so thought I'd get some gen in preparation for a rainy day in the workshop.
I'll open it up & delve inside as soon as I can.
Many thanks for replies so far. Just wondering - did any particular car manufacturer advertise these sets as an optional radio feature?

Regards, David
Old 27th Sep 2015, 10:38 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

There are other threads David. Add Alf [Forum member] to Minimitter search via here or external google page. Alf passed on his set to me as mentioned in the Minimitter History thread of 7/10/13. It is a bit of a struggle to extract info
Dave W
Old 27th Sep 2015, 11:25 pm   #7
David Simpson
Nonode

Dave, Alf's thread mentioned an MR37 with an 8 way wave change switch. But this set has no model no. & only a 5 way w/c switch. I was assuming his was a much bigger set.
The Minimitter Company's range of equipment is completely new to me, I must admit. But I intend to learn.

Regards, David
Old 28th Sep 2015, 12:47 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Hi David. Yes it was all a bit confusing at the time and remains so. I had presumed that the set I collected from him [eventually] was the same one he mentioned but I hadn't picked up the discrepancy re 8 or 5 wavebands.

The RSGB page that Pete put up here [he may have got it from that Minimitter History thread] seems to definetly ID your set [and mine] as being an M37 with 5 Bands[listed] but info is scarce and obscure. The reviewer clearly thinks it's an M37!

I'll check it all out again when I get back to my example in the North, in the near future. I see that Alf was on the Forum in August so, as you are opening up your Minimitter, it might be an idea to send a pm and see if you can clear up the mystery.

You might want to treat your practical investigation as vital research

Dave W
Old 28th Sep 2015, 4:45 pm   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

Right enough, Dave - it would seem,(according to the pdf kindly supplied by Pete), that this set is the top LH half of what W H Allen describes as a MR37 Communications Receiver in his article in the RSGB Bulletin of Feb.1958.
In 1958, as a 13 year old, my head was completely empty of any knowledge of radio technology at the time. I did acquire an ancient Bakelite radio the following year, and I always remember the o/p valve being a PM24B which glowed like a light bulb. Perhaps that initial inquisitiveness heralded my entry into the RAF in 1961 as a Boy Entrant trainee Air Wireless Mechanic.
Now my inquisitiveness is telling me that maybe I should seek out the other two sub assemblies which make up the complete MR37. Rather than consider it as an addition to a car radio(that's what I was told it was), although it looks as though that is what someone has used it as at some stage.

Regards, David

PS. I hope this isn't going to turn out as a time-consuming quest for info on a long defunct company - like BEME, Rees-Mace, Coastal Radio, etc.
Old 28th Sep 2015, 10:05 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Probaly but that's what we are here for. I'm not even that technical
Dave
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 10:57 pm   #11
David Simpson
Nonode

Just had a shufti inside - two valves :- 6BY7 & a 6AJ8.
Just wondering, are there any older amateur guys out there who, back in the 50's & 60's, worked a complete "Minimitter" rig ? What sort of range & reception did it have ?

Regards, David
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 7:39 pm   #12
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

David,

Bob/G6AVI was running his usual Minimitter TX on the VMARS 3615 kHz AM net this morning, maybe he can help?

Roger
Closed Thread