UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2012, 12:38 am   #1
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Wier 423D

Did it really have to be stripped down this far
Well i suppose it did really. It is one for the awkward fault gallery.
First it had no output apart from a little bit of biasing from the sensing wires.
I did a check of the transistors with a diode tester and found that the voltage sensing transistor was open circuit collector. It was BCY70.
I changed it for an NOS one with gold leads it was also a BCY70.
The problem was not corrected with this
I took many measurements and compared it with the good 413D that shares the same case.
I got down to a wiring fault and that is why it ended up being a major strip down.

It was loosing the drive to the power transistors with the voltage pot being shunted down. This may have happened for the first time when the fault that caused the transistor failure occurred.
I found that the floating unregulated supply that holds the negative side of the sensing was open circuit from the rest of the unit.
Where was it then.
The fault was in the sense circuit all right and I got closer and closer to the front panel.
It was the binding posts on the front. They were tight and had a good solid feel to them but all the same they were open circuit between the little PCB behind them and the nuts that held it all together.
Once I had restored order there I calibrated the meters and put the cover on again.
It was a pain to find though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5762.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	71950   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5757.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	71951   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5767.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	71952   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5771.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	71953  
Old 29th Oct 2012, 1:23 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Wier 423D

Well found.

Sounds like a classic example of why it's a bad idea to have any insulating material (the PCB here) in a compression contact stack up.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Oct 2012, 2:05 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Wier 423D

I will monitor the situation and if it gets dodgy again I will fit a wire and an extra tag as the PCB is single sided.
Closed Thread