UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2012, 8:06 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Radio Rentals 204 Restored

Judging by it's filthy state, this set had obviously spent a lot of years in an outbuilding before I got it. Although the back was present there were no screws holding it on, but it was all present and correct bar the missing mains lead which has a two-pin effort similar to a Bush DAC90A.

The set dates around the early 1950's and stated on the back is "Property of Radio Rentals and must not be sold". It is an AC-only set, and being a rental set it is well designed for quick removal of the chassis and ease of repair.

After removing the chassis, a quick look in the spares box turned up a suitable mains plug. This was attached to a new lead and the set gently woken up via my variac. Apart from the usual dirty pots and switches the set was working well on all three bands so after cleaning the chassis I replaced all the old wax caps. This was all going well until a valveholder pin snapped off without much provocation. Luckily there were unused pins on the rectifier valvebase, so this was fitted and work continued apace until yet another snapped off . This was also fitted from the rectifier valvebase.

Now time to restring the tuner. It was noted that someone had tried to repair it in the past by tying it together, also the scale pointer was long gone. A rummage in the spares box turned up a suitable item.

Removal of the dial glass was a bit worrying as it is quite thin glass held it place with metal spring clips that locate into holes on the chassis, so great care was taken not to damage it.

With this removed, I oiled the pulleys and tuning drive and worked out how it should be routed. After getting it back to front I finally got it right, then modified the dial pointer to fit the set. This was a total success and the chassis was left happily playing on the bench while I tackled the cabinet.

The bakelite cabinet was washed clean inside and out using warm water and Fairy Liquid, then left to dry. The 'speaker grille is that white plastic material used by Roberts, Ekco and even Dansette; this can get brittle with age and is easily damaged. I laid it flat on the draining board and soaked it with Flash kitchen spray with bleach, the gave it a going over with a nailbrush with great
results.

The dial glass was carefully cleaned and refitted. The case and knobs were polished using T-cut, the 'speaker was cleaned and refitted along with its grille, the chassis was refitted and as a final touch, I repainted the white bands on the knobs.

I really like this set, plain and functional, yet a good performer across all three bands. The sound is also very good due to the large cabinet and 8" Elac speaker. The cabinet has really come up well despite how matt it was after washing it.

This is the second RR set in my collection, now I want a pre-war one to restore.

Mark

The before photos....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RR1.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	71489   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR2.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	71490   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR3.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	71491   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR4.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	71492   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR5.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	71493  

Old 14th Oct 2012, 8:11 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio Rentals 204 Restored

The chassis....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RR6.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	71494   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR7.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	71495   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR8.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	71496   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR9.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	71497  
Old 14th Oct 2012, 8:13 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

The cabinet....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RR10.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	71500   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR11.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	71501   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR12.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	71502  
Old 14th Oct 2012, 10:09 pm   #4
alanworland
Heptode

Hi Mark,

That looks a treat! nice work

I have a 1960 ac/dc Radio rentals set to tackle and will be pleased if it turns out as good as yours.

Alan
Old 15th Oct 2012, 3:38 pm   #5
JoshWard
Octode

Lovely work!

You've made a very nice job of that inside and out.

I'm a big fan of RR sets, they seem to be well built and perform very well!

I've had problems with the valve bases they used as well though!
Old 15th Oct 2012, 4:10 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

To echo what Josh has said, these sets are generally extraordinarily easy to service, and perform well.

Some are beautiful whilst others are pig-ugly though. I have one of each, and yours is somewhere in between Here's my ugly duckling: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=20730

Your restoration is superb - well done.

I note that yours has a Paxolin panel rivetted to the back panel. My AC/DC one has exactly the same arrangement, whilst my AC-only one doesn't, which makes sense. I can't really see the point of it on your set though.

Nick.
Old 16th Oct 2012, 6:05 pm   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

The set, has been used all day, every day, for more than a week now, with no problems, it stays bang on tune, & sounds really nice, playing 'Gold' in the background

Alan, my other, RR set is an ac/dc set, model 202, this is also a very nice perfomer, I think you will be pleased, with your set.

Josh, Glad it was not only me, who, has had the valve holder problem, I wonder if age, & heat, take their toll, I was very carefull, when soldering the replacements!

Nick, I wonder if, the same chassi,s was used for the ac/dc version, hence the paxolin panel?
Out of my pair, the good looks award has to go to, the smaller 202

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1060876.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	71574  
Old 16th Oct 2012, 9:15 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

My 210 from Neil (Harvestgold) wins for me, as it has the most exquisitely shiny, swirly Bakelite that I've ever seen. Sorry, no pic at the moment.
Old 16th Oct 2012, 9:36 pm   #9
JoshWard
Octode

My 208 for me, it's so cute

Runner up is the 216 which sadly I don't have an example of yet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG3741.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	71588  
Old 17th Oct 2012, 1:27 pm   #10
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Nice job. This should motivate me to take a look at my 224. It looks cute and in good condition.
Old 18th Oct 2012, 12:41 pm   #11
Steve_P
Dekatron

Many of these are based on or rebadged Baird sets. So if you need service info, that's where to look. Most are fairly simple designs though, so you shouldn't have any problems with the electronics.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 19th Oct 2012, 6:08 pm   #12
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Mine is a Baird model 224 with no mention of Radio Rentals on it.
Old 19th Oct 2012, 6:30 pm   #13
alanworland
Heptode

This is my Radio Rentals (Baird) set yet to be worked on.

Name:	Baird 238.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	71664
Closed Thread