UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2011, 9:41 pm   #1
JoshWard
Octode

Default Marconiphone T89DA

It's 1960.

Wax capacitors are virtually gone, metal chassis' are on the way out, VHF is very much in and so is up to the minute styling with bright colours.

The T89DA certainly fulfils all this, no wax capacitors, built on a PCB, VHF and a red tuning scale with gold writing with beige knobs in a white cabinet.

This set was given to me by my parents as a Christmas present in about 2005, it worked ok and I put it on display until I finally ran out of space and it moved into the loft.
After we moved I rediscovered it and put it fairly high up the to do list as I love the styling and the condition it's in. There's a few minor marks on the paint but it's really perfect patina, not too worn and not immaculate.

After the 1950s white Radio Rentals set it felt natural to progress to the 1960s with a painted bakelite set!

First power up, after storing it all seemed ok and worked alright although a little on the quiet side. I dug out some service data, it's covered on Trader sheet 1486 for the Ferguson 627U. This PCB chassis was used in many Ferguson's, HMVs and Marconi's. I have seen at least 6 variations with it and I also have a T69DA Marconi and a Ferguson 621U using a similar circuit (same layout with minor component differences).

The circuit board is well layed out with lots of gaps between the connections so clearly this is not the beginning of miniaturisation of main receivers (well it is in component size, just not in cabinet size!) and makes a good introduction into working with PCBs. Part of the reason of doing this set was PCB confidence building as I haven't worked on many sets using them.

Three Hunts mouldseals were all found, so clearly these hadn't yet died but their numbers have certainly decreased from those found in sets of around 1957-1958. Two Plessey electrolytics were found to be bad on the ESR meter so these were changed.
The cap across the mains (C64) was a square Erie component, I chopped this out and fitted a new X2 class one.
The rest of the caps were miniature ones and from what I've read of others' restorations these aren't worth changing as they're not likely to be faulty. Another interesting note is the near disappearance of capacitors being labelled in µF, instead the miniature capacitors being measured in thousands of pFs on the service sheet.
I checked the resistors and they all seemed to be ok, again these are generally smaller PCB type ones than the standard chassis ones.

Upon repowering the set was working well, volume had increased and it did sound very nice. It has a large loudspeaker which nearly makes up for the bakelite cabinet.

It was then reassembled, with the dial glass being polished, the knobs were washed in warm soapy water along with the outside of the cabinet which came up gleaming.

This set now lives along with my Hacker Mayflower 2, Ferranti U1032 and Bush VHF81. Another prime example of a late valve set and probably my favourite period of valve radio design.
I much prefer the style of late valve sets over any other period and hold my head up when I say, hand on heart, I would rather have this than ANY round Ekco. I wouldn't even consider swapping it for one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3743.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	45375   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3746.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	45376   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3744.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	45377  
Old 19th Jan 2011, 9:45 pm   #2
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Marconiphone T89DA

Well done Josh, a nice set and write up!

cheers Mark
Old 19th Jan 2011, 9:48 pm   #3

Quote:
I would rather have this than ANY round Ekco. I wouldn't even consider swapping it for one!
That got me thinking, perhaps I should convert my A22 to VHF/FM, better sound quality than AM, better styling than the '60s!

Nice job BTW.

Old 19th Jan 2011, 10:16 pm   #4
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Interesting looking set. The insides look similiar to the chassis founD in my HMV1376.
Old 19th Jan 2011, 11:29 pm   #5
HMV 1120
Hexode

It seems it has been a good day for Marconiphone sets ^^
Old 20th Jan 2011, 9:16 pm   #6
JoshWard
Octode

Thanks everyone

Simon, the 1376 does indeed have a similar chassis and is also in my radio want list! Another set I love the styling of.
Old 21st Jan 2011, 8:21 pm   #7
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I got mine a few years back off Jon Evans. Still on my to do list though.
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 12:04 pm   #8
Colourstar
Octode

Hi Josh

Well done on a neat little restoration. It looks like new!

I'm also with you regarding the styling. I like anything where the styling really reflects the era it was made in, whether it's from the 1930s or the 1980s. I also have a T69DA, which like yours needed very few components changing to work very well. It's particularly good on VHF. The case needs a repaint though...

I thought you would also like to a see another set from the era, which I actually just picked up this morning at a house clearance place for a fiver. It's an Alba 3422 VHF/MW mains set in a period two tone grey plastic case. Strange that it has no Long Wave, as a lot of folk listened to the BBC Light Programme on 1500m LW. The set probably dates from around 1960. I've never seen one before!

Best wishes
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1444.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	45494   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1445.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	45495   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1446.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	45496  
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 1:17 pm   #9
JoshWard
Octode

You'll have to get some pics up when you've done the HMV Simon

I've also got a T69DA, works well but case is very shabby. That Alba is really different, not sure about the knobs but the rest just looks, well, so different!
Old 15th Sep 2012, 4:00 pm   #10
nath1977
Triode

Hi Josh,

I notice in the back right corner the resistor has been swapped for a more modern donut looking thing. Is the thermistor also still fitted to the right of it, I can't quite see due to the mains cable clip. I can see the other is however fitted. The reason I ask is the rear of the two thermistor in my TDA89 are cooked and wondered if yours had some other successful mod I could copy.?

Thanks!
Closed Thread