UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2009, 6:31 pm   #1
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Default Braun SK2/2 : which one do you prefer ?

Hi !
On the Domestic radio forum, I reported that I'm restoring a Braun SK2/2 set.
The restoration involved changing some ceramic capacitors, one of them being double and totally peeled. And of course a lot of foil capacitors. The smoothing capacitors where surprisingly good with nearly no leak ! So it remained in place.
The selenium diode was worn out, heating so much I was unable to touch it. so it has been replaced by an 1N4007 with a 1nF 1kv in parallel and a 7 w 470 Ohm resistor to limit the current. This way the voltages are quite correct (a little on the low side though).
Having changed so much capacitors the set asked for a full alignment which was a little headache as I was unable to tune the VHF head to the 94 MHz specified in the trader's sheet. Even without the dust iron core, the oscillator was unable to get above 92 ~ 93 MHz depending on the ECC85 I plugged in.
Having a scrap chassis I get another iron core and the adjustment this time was like a walk in a park.
The set is perfect in FM and quite good on MW. (MW is of so little use in France that I won't bother too much, and as I think this set was not a "killer" in AM when out from factory, I think I'm right ;-) ).
The tube set is all original, from Telefunken, and even the EL84 is very good ! These sets where really well engineered from one end to the other ! The output valve/ transformer and speaker are quite perfectly assorted !
Then, I restored the caseS ! As you may know, I own two of them, the second chassis being out of hope. So I asked the friend I plan to offer the set which was her favourite colour and got no answer. So I choose a nice car black (with a metallic look ) and a bright red ....
I removed the cloth which was worn out, carefully removed the dial scale and cleaned it without removing the lettering, and chemically removed the original white paint on the metal grille, sanded it a little and painted it white using the same white paint I used on the previous Braun I restored, the SK25.
Then I painted one case black and the other one red.
I glued my cheese cloth on the grille, and let the paint cure. I've included a picture of the cheese cloth for you to understand what it is. (third picture)
When it was time to glue the dial, I make a test with the oldest dial (bi-tone of grey with less precise markings) and the newer one which is more sober. I opted for the plain white one.
I assembled the set twice, one for the red case and the other time into the black one.
I plan to give her the set in red with the black box as a spare and having a screwdriver in the pocket for a swap if she prefer the black version....
So here are the pictures : Which one do you prefer ?
I do hope she will be pleased !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00175-petite.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	24659   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00174-petite.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	24660   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00173-petite.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	24661   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00172-petite.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	24662   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00169-petite.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	24663  

Old 16th Apr 2009, 6:38 pm   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Braun SK2/2 : which one do you prefer ?

I think I prefer the black one , but both look nice
Old 16th Apr 2009, 7:42 pm   #3
Tazman1966
Nonode

I think she'll want both so you'd better sort the "no hope" chassis out too

Me? I think I prefer the red.

Well done
Old 16th Apr 2009, 7:57 pm   #4
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

I agree with tas, I'd want both.
Alan
Old 16th Apr 2009, 9:06 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Well done Georges

A classic Dieter Rams designed Braun radio, very nice ..... I'd have them both too !

Howard
Old 17th Apr 2009, 11:21 am   #6
ajs37
Heptode

I want the black one! Very stylish - excellent restoration Georges!

Andy
Old 18th Apr 2009, 10:20 am   #7
georgesgiralt
Hexode

So yesterday she got her present.
She prefer the red one. As I had not fastened the grille, I dismantled it in front of her. She was amazed by the compactness and number of valves.
Unfortunately, I broke the dial fixing on the capacitor shaft. I glued it with Super Glue, but I wonder if it will last.
I'm looking for a replacement (the capacitor is the one with the small shaft for the dial and the large shaft for the pointer type).
Old 21st Apr 2009, 2:53 pm   #8
AdaLovelace
Retired Dormant Member

Definitively, the black one is too dark, it can't give goods news....
The red one (almost pink ?) is really hot !

Your friend is very lucky
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 3:48 pm   #9
Tim
Dekatron

The black one.
Actually Georges they're both excellent, I just like black!