UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2009, 6:34 pm   #1
batterymaker1
Heptode

Default Reproduction Winner 120

This is the first of two Winners I have to build for clients.

We don't have anything like these in the States, so I had to go by pictures and drawings. I was hoping that someone had an original that they could measure and compare to my finished model, but nothing showed up, and I'll take my chances this is very close to an original.

The cradle box is different from most of my other batteries in that the PP3's hang UPSIDE DOWN in the box. The "top" is for the RCA-Jack Wander sockets. The PP3's are tapped at the proper spots, give or take a few volts...

I based the cover on Exide, partly because I wanted to see if I could reproduce those lightning bolts!

It's not totally one-to-one accurate. It has a 96 volt tap, and I made it that way because the client needs one that says that--so it's a small fudge.

Also, one of the 120 volt labels should say something else. Now what it's supposed to say, I haven't a clue, because the picture I used as a reference is very blurry. Had to do a fudge there as well.

I did see where the originals had a sort of wax-paper seal over the wander socket holes, so I repro'd that with the same material.

All told, I'm rather pleased with the results. Hope the customer will be as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winner cradle front.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	23981   Click image for larger version

Name:	winner cradle distrib section.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	23982   Click image for larger version

Name:	final exide h.1006.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	23983  
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 6:43 pm   #2
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: Reproduction Winner 120

Excellent work Bill. These repros really look "the business"

Cheers,
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 7:34 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hello Bill,

You've done a really excellent job there as always. The cover looks completely authentic to me, if you hadn't mentioned the little 'fudges' I would have been none the wiser. I'm sure your customer will be very pleased!

I've attached an alternative livery H1006 for you that I downloaded sometime ago. Sorry about the size and quality, but it may still prove useful to you as a guide in re-creating the cover in your graphics package.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H1006.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	23994  

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 8:11 pm   #4
Aerodyne
Octode

Always a pleasure to see your carefully crafted work, Bill. I'm sure that the photos you show provide inspiration for many of us on this forum. Keep 'em coming!
-Tony
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 8:19 pm   #5
batterymaker1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert G0UHF View Post
Hello Bill,

You've done a really excellent job there as always. The cover looks completely authentic to me, if you hadn't mentioned the little 'fudges' I would have been none the wiser. I'm sure your customer will be very pleased!

I've attached an alternative livery H1006 for you that I downloaded sometime ago. Sorry about the size and quality, but it may still prove useful to you as a guide in re-creating the cover in your graphics package.

Regards

That'll be the "fun" one, but if I can pull it off, it'll match the GB battery I have one hand.
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 8:58 pm   #6
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Bill, and everyone else I guess,
Can I ask a dumb question as I'm thinking of having a go at this myself? You haven't used rechargeables that I can see. Why not?
Alan
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 9:25 pm   #7
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBeckett View Post
Can I ask a dumb question as I'm thinking of having a go at this myself? You haven't used rechargeables that I can see. Why not?
Alan
Hello Alan,

I make reproduction HT, LT and GB batteries for all my portable valves sets. There is no reason why you can't use rechargeables other than you have to remember that their terminal voltage is lower than disposable types. Typically a rechargeable 'AA','C' or 'D' cell will be 1.2V and PP3's around 7.5 to 8v.

Often its quite tight in fitting the modern cells inside the dimensions of the old battery cases and you will need more rechargeables to make up the required voltage, but if there is sufficient room there is no reason why you shouldn't use them.

I personally find that cheap disposable types last a very long time before replacement in any case. For example a string of PP3 batteries in a repro HT battery will often last quite a few months, those in repro LT cases less so, but still long enough not to have to resort to using rechargeables.

Anyhow thats my opinion, don't know if Bill and other members who make repro's will share it?

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 9:40 pm   #8
batterymaker1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBeckett View Post
Alan
Because standard alkalines are all I have in my test batch. However, as all of my batteries are designed as "holders" or "adaptors", they allow you to install whatever you like--be it zinc-carbon, alkaline, NiCads, etc.

Because of that, I also add a little "wiggle room" to the cradle. I imagine the rechargables are a tad larger than alkalines, so the extra room allows for them to be installed.
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 9:43 pm   #9
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Robert, Bill,
Thanks for the info.
There was one other possible reason I thought of. The internal resistance of rechargeables is a good bit lower than 'conventional' cells, so getting your screwdriver across a 90v battery could be really exciting.
I'll give it a go.
Alan
Old 24th Mar 2009, 9:42 am   #10
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Presumably when the Battery starts to die you replace all the cells . Out of interest If you then test them individually ,do some hold almost full voltage and others not ?
Old 24th Mar 2009, 11:57 am   #11
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
Presumably when the Battery starts to die you replace all the cells . Out of interest If you then test them individually ,do some hold almost full voltage and others not ?
Personally I replace all the cells, especially if the repro battery is a LT type with an associated higher current drain when in use. Interestingly I have often found that as you suggest some cells retain a greater terminal voltage than others, implying uneven current drain?

A while ago I built a repro B131 HT battery using 10 x PP3's in series and the set it was powering abruptly died whilst I was listenning to it. Upon investigation I found one of the PP3's had swollen and pushed out its base. Its voltage was measured at almost -1v whilst the other 9 x PP3's all measured OK with voltages around 9v still with plenty of use left in them.

I don't understand the mechanism of how it might have happened but I assume the other 9 cells in series discharged through it somehow causing it to rupture?

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 12th Apr 2009, 7:57 pm   #12
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

Nice one bill ..How many colours did drydex use as mine are black with red and white lightning bolts. I have a black drydex with blue an white bolts thats a type h1146 90v. I have seen them in green an black with white bolts but never red. There was a red triangle range. According to an old book i have there was a red, green, blue and an orange triangle range but i only have the red. Orange was triple capacity,these are the grid bias an HT range.
Old 13th Apr 2009, 2:39 am   #13
batterymaker1
Heptode

Good question, I'm really not up on Drydex. I'm lucky I know what I do on ANY British battery, considering I'm on the other side of the world. I just have to go by pictures....