UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2020, 7:45 pm   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default ULTRA T401 'quicky'

I've lost most of my enthusiasm for radio restoration at present, but I fancied having a go at something small and quick in between Xmas and New Year to prevent the dust settling on my workbench...
Enter a rather nice red ULTRA T401 which according to my notes I bought 'as found' in 2013 !
It's languished in a cupboard ever since and I recall getting a rather unpleasant 'belt' from it when I last tried it away from the bench. After that I removed the power cable !

Once opened up on the bench , I found the likely cause - a Radiospares' 0.02 wired between mains L and chassis ( this with a 2 core lead ! ) which is not on the schematic.
Having snipped that out, I was about to re-wire a 3 core lead and set about the rest of the replacements when I remembered there was another of these sets in the standard bakelite colour lurking on the loft. Having retrieved it, and seeing the PVC flex and modern plug, it seems to have been restored although I have no firm recollection of doing this. This set did appear to work OK, although it's not had many parts replaced inside. All the electrolytics tested fine and being a short super. there is no coupling cap to worry about. The 1200 ohm smoothing resistor was fine but looked rather tired and flaking, so this was replaced. No other parts have been changed and having attached something better than the built in throw out aerial, it gave a good account of itself. But the brown version is boring so, I thought why not cheat and put this working chassis into the nice red case ?
After a quick polish the factory sprayed red finish has come up very well ( save for a few 'dings' ) and the knobs are in good condition. The 'brown' set will now have to go back on the pile ( unlikely to ever get done ! )

According to the list I have, the T401 was also made in April green and Ivory cream ( sprayed over bakelite ) Does anyone have a pic of one of these in good condition ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	196259  
Old 1st Jan 2020, 10:49 pm   #2
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: ULTRA T401 'quicky'

Nice sets. I've only ever seen red and natural bakelite ones, although I have one where the white front seems to have been sprayed gold at the factory.

From memory there is a wax paper cap hidden somewhere that I missed and it was the one that a few months later caused problems!
Old 1st Jan 2020, 11:04 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Default Re: ULTRA T401 'quicky'

I did have a painted ULTRA T401 and indeed may still have it but the colour I would describe as powder blue.

Like everything else if I still have that set it's still packed. The paint looked to be original and was brown underneath.

I did a quick Google search and found this I would say the colour is the same as mine https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...1946-470855102

I suppose it could be some kind of green

Not much help I know.

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 1st Jan 2020 at 11:17 pm. Reason: Added Link
Closed Thread