UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Dec 2019, 8:37 pm   #1
llama
Octode

Default Mystery German component

From German WW2 surplus:
Markings:
Piko-Block
10000cm
Bopg 500V=
1500V= 033g

It's 3cm long and about 8mm diameter.
Brown bodied cylinder with 3 stripes at one end.

One end has snapped off so difficult to make any measurements and may be well off-spec anyway.

Anyone know what it could be, please? And why the strange units-of-measurement?!?
Graham
Old 24th Dec 2019, 8:51 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Mystery German component

Sounds like a capacitor

Several countries in Continental Europe used cm for capitance value until after the war.

There was a thread about it here

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=124200

Cheers

Mike T
Old 24th Dec 2019, 8:52 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In times past, "Centimetres" were used as a measure of capacitance in some European circles (same as "Jars" were units-of-capacitance in the UK at one time).

A thread about this here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=124200

So what you have is an early capacitor.
Old 24th Dec 2019, 11:06 pm   #4
Hartley118
Nonode

There’s real food for thought here - the fact that capacitance has the dimension of length - something to ponder if you get a quiet moment over Christmas.

1cm = 1.113 pF

Happy Christmas everybody!

Martin
Old 25th Dec 2019, 12:32 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

Capacitance only has the dimensions of "length" if you consider the dielectric constant ε to be dimensionless. Otherwise, you are multiplying dielectric constant by an area (= length squared) and dividing by a length to get a capacitance; so ε has units Farads per metre. (Though a Farad is not a fundamental unit; it's something like seconds**4 times amperes squared per metre squared per kilogram.)

Dimensional analysis chucks up some strangenesses sometimes. For instance, almost nobody refers to wavelengths as being so many "metres per cycle"; but that's what you would have to multiply by cycles per second to get metres per second!
Old 25th Dec 2019, 1:18 pm   #6
Wellington
Hexode

Post Re: Mystery German component

I remember covering dimensional analysis in 'A'-level physics at school. I couldn't see a point to it at the time, but on the rare occasions I have to deal with maths and equations, I often come back to it as a good way to check my work.

It's amazing to think back to all that learning, much of it now forgotten It's tempting to think that it's wasted, but I suspect it still makes its presence felt in those flickerings of doubt when you 'feel' something is wrong in something you're reading (or being told).

Happy Christmas, all!
Old 25th Dec 2019, 10:06 pm   #7
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I suspect 'Bopg' should read Bspg. = Betriebsspannung = working voltage.

That took me about 15 ohm-farads to type.
Old 26th Dec 2019, 8:15 pm   #8
llama
Octode

Yes, it's Bspg now I look again. Well deduced! And thanks everyone for the interest.
I also have a mica capacitor which is marked <blank> cm on one side and 10,000uuF (actually micro-micro) on the other so that looks like its age is during the changeover period from cm.
Graham