UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2009, 12:03 pm   #1
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

Default Kolster Brandes

Can anyone identify this Kolster Brandes 2 valve set from probably the early 30s. It is a bakelite case with built in moving iron loudspeaker but batteries are all external. To help the two moulded mica condensers are marked Dubilier 665. the valves are BC18 (French made) and PM2A. I would like to identify modela nd year if possible.
Pat G3IKR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kolster Brandes 006.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	28272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kolster Brandes 005.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	28273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kolster Brandes 004.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	28274  
Old 27th Aug 2009, 12:35 pm   #2
kibble
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Kolster Brandes

Hi Pat,

That looks likes the KB Masterpiece. A 1930 set given away for cigarette coupons! See the book Radio! Radio!. A very simple 2-valve design. I have a circuit I drew some time ago from examining a set. If you wish I could dig it out for you.

Regards
Keith
Old 27th Aug 2009, 11:34 pm   #3
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

Thanks Keith. Unfortunately although I have a large collection of wireless books i don`t seem to have Radio! Radio! although I have heard of it.
Don`t worry about the circuit, as you say it is very simple. The set works extremely well and the quality is surprising. It is also rather more sensitive than I would have expected and will pick up a number of stations on a short piece of wire dangling onto the floor. In fact it doesn`t like a long aerial!
I wonder if you know what the original valves were? I guess the BC18 might be original. certainly a somewhat strange set for 1930 as by this time people were expecting the batteries to be inside the set not external.
I will have to have a look in my old WWs and see if the brand of cigarette was ever advertised there.

Pat G3IKR
Old 28th Aug 2009, 12:10 am   #4
AVO_VCM163
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer74 View Post
.......I wonder if you know what the original valves were? I guess the BC18 might be original. ............
Pat G3IKR
According to some notes I have they were PM1HF and 220P.
R
Old 28th Aug 2009, 8:48 am   #5
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

How many batteries does it need ?
Old 28th Aug 2009, 10:15 am   #6
kibble
Retired Dormant Member

According to Radio! Radio! the model was made for Godfrey Philips Ltd, London. 500 coupons were required, one per pack of BDV (best dark virginia) 6d per pack total outlay £12. 10s. 0d. Valves were French made "Fotos". In 1931 another set was produced called Masterpiece, but that was 3 valve with a wooden case, also shown in Radio! Radio!. The book is very good well worth buying.

My set has PM1HF & 220P valves fitted. External batteries required for 2x HT (Tapped battery Det & AF amp), LT, & Bias.

Regards
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KB_Masterpiece.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	28292  
Old 28th Aug 2009, 7:21 pm   #7
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

Many thanks gentlemen for all that info. I guess my BC18 made by Fotos is original then. Surprising that the flying lead did not short out the unwanted coil section to earth. I would confirm the circuit diagram. I use 75 and 108 volts for HT.
Unfortunately the catch on the box which the spring loaded button on the lid shuts into is missing. It is not obvious what shape this is although I could make up something to make it work. Any chance of a rough sketch or even just a description?

Pat G3IKR
Old 29th Aug 2009, 10:03 am   #8
kibble
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Pat,

I have a masterpiece, but the bottom half (chassis section of case) retaining catch is missing. The top half (speaker section of case) has the lock push button, which is attached to a protruding tongue. I can supply pictures but from your description it sounds like we are both missing the same part.

Keith
Old 29th Aug 2009, 9:31 pm   #9
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

Yes I agree! However I may be seeing another set tomorrow and will make a sketch if it is suitable. Could then make 2 and let you have one.
Pat G3IKR
Old 30th Aug 2009, 10:27 am   #10
kibble
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Pat, that's a very generous offer. It would be good to get the catch working again. I look forward to hearing if your successful.

Keith
Old 30th Aug 2009, 11:14 pm   #11
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

Hi Keith. unfortunately the set I saw was the later KB also guiven away with cigarette coupons. It is exactly the same circuit etc but in a wooden box with space for the batteries. also featured in Radio Radio.
So I will have to devise a suitable catch to go with the rather strange shaped bit in the lid. Will then let you have one.
pat
Closed Thread