UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2015, 9:56 am   #61
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: "Temporary" fixes.

I think the Wurlitzer ones are much softer than those in the original spin dryer. The Wurli ones are mainly for reduction in the bass transfer from the speaker to the cabinet thereby reducing the possibility of acoustic feedback.
Old 9th Aug 2015, 12:59 pm   #62
julie_m
Dekatron

I've just got my FreePlay radio (with the perished cog wheel) going again; using a USB cable from the pound store, a 2.5 mm.-bore DC connector and a USB power bank that I already had. So now I have music in the bathroom again .....

Anyone prepared to take bets on whether I'll ever actually get the drive train fixed ..... ?
Old 9th Aug 2015, 5:17 pm   #63
Herald1360
Dekatron

You'll have to recharge the power bank using solar cells or a handcranked dynamo to stay within the spirit of the beast.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Aug 2015, 5:25 pm   #64
julie_m
Dekatron

I spoke too soon. The radio plays fine with 5V from the power bank. But then the radio is so frugal with its milliamps, the power bank -- which is designed for charging mobile phones, and has a minimum-current threshhold -- decides the current flowing is too low for the phone still to be charging, so it cuts off after a few seconds!

I can make it stay on permanently by turning up the volume (those Freeplay sets can turn up good and LOUD!), but that is hardly likely to endear me to the neighbours; so I think I shall have to add some ballast resistance to the "set" end of the power lead before I can call this a fix. Perhaps even a cluster of LEDs .....

(And yes, that does go against the spirit of the thing a bit. The power bank will be charged from the Sun, though.)