UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2019, 10:14 am   #1
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.
Default Yaesu FT2980

Hello, does anyone have information on this model please. A friend asked me to have a look at this radio as he was of the opinion it was off frequency on transmit. I opened it up and did not see any adjustable components such as a trimmer capacitor to set the reference crystal to frequency. I did however see that it was set to wide spacing which would give too much deviation for the channel spacing we use now so I set it to narrow. This is possibly why he was under the impression it was off frequency. I would have thought however there should be at least a trimmer to acurately set the frequency. My main background is PMR and in those sets there are frequency trimmers.
Old 18th Aug 2019, 10:24 am   #2
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: Yaesu ft2980

Quite possibly the reference is some VCXO and the adjustment is done by software...
Old 18th Aug 2019, 11:09 am   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Yaesu ft2980

If you are looking for a means to adjust the overall frequency, presumably you must have some means of measuring the frequency to see if it really needs adjusting before you go looking for the means by which to adjust it?

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 18th Aug 2019 at 11:36 am.
Old 18th Aug 2019, 3:34 pm   #4
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.
Default Re: Yaesu FT2980

Thanks for the replies, I have a Marconi 2955a so I do have a frequency counter. I will be looking at that tomorrow but as I said I reckon the problem was that the radio was set on Wide rather than Narrow.
Closed Thread