UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Aug 2019, 5:11 pm   #1
barrywebb
Tetrode

Default Akai GX230D speed adjustment

Hi i need to adjust the tape speed on my Akai GX230D to make sure its running at the correct speed .
I have done this before on a cassette deck with a special tape and a multi meter but just wondering what is the best way on the reel to reel as it has 3 motors any help would be greatly received.
Barry.
Old 9th Aug 2019, 6:08 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai GX230D speed adjustment

Only the capstan motor should have any effect on the tape speed.

There are 2 ways that I've seen it done, both of them involve a special tape.

The normal one is to have a tape recorded with a constant frequency signal on a machine you know is running at the right speed. You play that back on your machine and measure the frequency of the output signal. Adjust the speed until it is right.

The other way involves a 'tape' that is marked with black lines. It is not magnetic at all. You 'play' that and observe it under a mains light as a stroboscope. Adjust until the lines appear to be still.
Old 14th Aug 2019, 9:39 am   #3
barrywebb
Tetrode

Thanks for that i thought so i did it on a cassette recorder and had to buy a special tape and us my multi meter.
The price of that tape for a reel to reel is very expensive so i will just put up with it its only slightly out so no big deal.
Thanks
Barry
Old 17th Aug 2019, 12:53 pm   #4
MeerKat
Hexode

Hi Barry,
There is a way of doing this, all you would need is a tape with a 50Hz tone recorded on it at the speeds of your machine and an amplifier with a mono button on it. Before I go into detail I'll test my method works and post again, I could also supply a suitable tape.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Closed Thread