UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Old 6th Apr 2024, 9:53 pm   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Replacement of Panasonic microphone

I am wanting to record the lovely birdsong in the trees at the back of our house. It's the nicest I've heard it for years.

So I got my Realistic (Tandy) microphone out and plugged into my recorder. I bought this new in 1994.

Well it's been a few years since it was last used and I'm pretty sure the electret capsule has gone bad. I'm getting rustling and popping as well as weak sound.

The capsule is a Panasonic WM-063T with 6mm diameter. I've searched online and so many available but NOT the WM-063T.

So, is there an equivalent I could use? Anyone who understands the Panasonic system? It must measure 6mm x 5mm as it fits snugly into the holder.

Thank you kindly. I hope yet to be able to record the birdsong.
IanNVJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2024, 1:34 pm   #2
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Re: Replacement of Panasonic microphone

I'm going to reply to my own question here as I have spent some time on this. I never did get to the bottom of the microphone numbering or differences but I did fix my microphone. It turned out that the 0.47uF capacitor in the module was open circuit even though it was a tantalum one which I thought never went open.

Anyway replaced that and it works perfectly again and I can get on with recording the early morning birdsong. Better than most music.
IanNVJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote