UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 5th Apr 2024, 9:00 pm   #1
Alan Bain
Pentode

Default HP435A option C51

In order to adjust some power sensors I acquired an analogue HP435A (the later meters lack the test points needed for the wire positioning adjustments). This one is a UK made meter and claims to be option C51 with a label on the top stating it was made to specification 10ZZ.

I'm aware of 001 Battery and 002-003 various rear inputs 009-013 (long cables). But I can find no mention of C51 or indeed 10ZZ.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Hopefully I don't need a 500' measuring cable or anything equally daft.

Alan
Alan Bain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2024, 11:05 am   #2
factory
Octode

Default Re: HP435A option C51

I'm not seeing any obvious differences from the outside, to the one I have in storage.
The 435A is not listed in the options list from 1994 that is on the web either.

David
factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 9:24 pm   #3
Alan Bain
Pentode

Default Re: HP435A option C51

Well having made a new scale for the meter and cleaned up the cal factor switch it seems to work normally with a known good 8481A and less well with an 8484A of unknown operational status (reads 7dB down). Much easier to use to test an unknown sensor than one of the microprocessor controlled meters.

A previous owner seems to have tried to unscrew the range dial using unsuitable implements with the result the hex sockets on the 2-56 grub screws had been rounded. Got one out with the end of a watchmaker's broach and the other needed drilling - awaiting replacements. Not sure of the part number for the central plastic knob (the manual just gives the range switch assy), that might end up being a lathe job!

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6721 (Large).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	296469  
Alan Bain is offline   Reply With Quote