UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 16th Apr 2024, 10:55 pm   #21
Laurence Smith
Tetrode

Default Re: Ferguson 306T

I've now been able to test this set with a signal, and found that replacing R132 hadn't made much, if any, difference. So I tried three different PCF80s. Two of these didn't make much difference, but one gives line hold when the control is advanced about two-thirds rather than at one end, so this is staying in the set.

I had some rustling noise in the sound and the contrast was suddenly varying too, which turned out to be bad contacts on the base of V3, the combined first vision and sound IF amp. I also cleaned all of the contacts in the turret tuner with cotton wool buds and Deoxit and now have a good stable picture and noise-free sound.

I also wet the asbestos washer that is situated at one end of the mains dropper, removed and disposed of it and replaced it with a small piece of glass fibre soldering mat.

Part of the structure of the rear of the cabinet had come unstuck, so I've glued this back into position. I've also had the implosion guard glass and mask out for a good clean. The cabinet overall isn't in brilliant condition, but I'll clean and polish it next then post a few pics once done.

Thank you to all for the advice and comments.

BVWS Member

Last edited by Laurence Smith; 16th Apr 2024 at 11:13 pm. Reason: additional information
Laurence Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2024, 6:35 pm   #22
thermionic
Heptode

Hello Laurence.

That sounds like good news, your determination is paying off, - I’m looking forward to your pictures.

……You’ll be looking for another TV project then now that the Ferguson is nearly finished!

All the best.

Simon.
Old 23rd May 2024, 10:18 pm   #23
Laurence Smith
Tetrode

Another update on this – I treated the cabinet with wax and polish remover, then with dark scratch remover and finally with general purpose furniture polish spray which has made it come up quite nicely.

As soon as I’d done this and set it up for viewing I had a new fault in that there was noise on the screen accompanied by a rustling sound from the speaker. This disappeared when pressure was applied to the chassis in the mains dropper area and to the metal screening around the focus magnet and scan coil assembly. I initially suspected a poor connection around the mains dropper as I had disturbed this when removing the asbestos washer at the base of the dropper, but checking all contacts around the mains supply resulted in no improvement. I then removed the aluminium screening around the scan coils that are behind the focus magnet and gave all points where this is in contact with the main chassis a good clean and reattached it. This cleared the fault completely.

Following further soak testing, after about half an hour’s operation it is just possible to hear some slight sparking in the line output section, but nothing is visible when this is examined in darkness and this is only just audible when listening close to this area (not too close!) and there is no disturbance to the picture at all associated with this. I’m thinking this isn’t something I need to be unduly concerned about, but I’ll keep a close eye on it in case there is any change. The re-wound LOPT also occasionally breaks into oscillation at frequencies well below the line whistle briefly but again there is no on-screen disturbance associated with this. Otherwise, the set seems very stable in operation and I will continue to use it regularly. Thanks again for all the advice and comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	297949   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	297950  

BVWS Member
Laurence Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 9:36 pm   #24
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Smith View Post
I've now been able to test this set with a signal, and found that replacing R132 hadn't made much, if any, difference. So I tried three different PCF80s. Two of these didn't make much difference, but one gives line hold when the control is advanced about two-thirds rather than at one end, so this is staying in the set.
These needed a specially selected PCF80. Back in the 70's when I last repaired one of these, I remember trying no less than 6 PCF80's before I found one that worked well. There was nothing wrong with any of the others when used in other sets so it's just inter-electrode capacitance that makes a difference.