UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 22nd Apr 2024, 2:25 pm   #21
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: More Lost Treaures [TV] Recovered on film

At one time, TV programmes were regarded as ephemeral, like a theatre production. Consequently there was no need to archive them unless a repeat was envisaged.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who remembers watching live TV drama shows, complete with the occasional prompt!

I used to work with a theatre director who had done live TV - including, if my memory is correct, some early episodes of Z-cars.
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2024, 2:40 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who remembers watching live TV drama shows, complete with the occasional prompt!

I used to work with a theatre director who had done live TV - including, if my memory is correct, some early episodes of Z-cars.
Weren't some of the old TV shows done as a mixture of live action in a studio and recorded stuff (either film or early video recording) for outdoor action??

That could make recovery of the content somewhat problematic if you only have the recorded inserts surviving.
Old 24th Apr 2024, 3:09 pm   #23
knobtwiddler
Octode

The same phenomenon could be said to exist in the music industry. With notable exceptions such as the Beatles or Stones, who were proven commercially and tapes stored accordingly, the tapes of less successful artists were disposed of / re-recorded over. This is a big reason (along with the modern mastering penchant for hyper compression) why so many digital reissues sound inferior when compared to the vinyl from decades before, despite the digital medium having vastly less noise and distortion. Whereas the original vinyl will have been cut from an early gen tape, the later reissues often have come from a safety backup, several generations of duplication later, at slower speed and on narrower tape.
knobtwiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2024, 8:05 pm   #24
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobtwiddler View Post
Whereas the original vinyl will have been cut from an early gen tape, the later reissues often have come from a safety backup, several generations of duplication later, at slower speed and on narrower tape.
Over the last few years I've been heavily involved in certain reissues. I have found that the original vinyl production master tapes often don't sound that good because they have been tailored for the vinyl cutting process (NB I'm not talking about RIAA encoding here but somewhat less obvious differences).

Unfortunately, sometimes people involved in these reissues don't always understand what the various terms on the tape boxes mean so they assume that production masters are better than original masters. Or sometimes (as happened with a recent job) there have been some fairly extensive edits involved in creating the production master which took quite a bit of effort to re-create working from the original masters.

Taking things to an even further extreme, we have been going back to the original multitracks and have been able to produce mixes that sound far more spacious and clear than the original mixes because we haven't been limited by what could be cut on vinyl.

So, for the work I'm involved with, the new reissues are almost certainly superior sounding to the original vinyl.
jamesperrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2024, 7:52 am   #25
Richardgr
Heptode

Nostalgia today is not like the old days!
Richardgr is online now   Reply With Quote