UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 21st Apr 2024, 11:47 am   #21
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: 60 Years of BBC 2

I found this comment in the chapter on television in the 1956 edition of Odhams "Radio Television and Electrical Repairs" book in the discussion about the prospective extensions of the ITA stations on Band III:

" The BBC also plan to start a second tv programme in 1957-8, a proportion of which will most likely be in colour. By 1962 this second programme will probably have passed its experimental stage and be extended to about five hours transmission per day."

No other details given. Presumably the introduction was delayed due to considering using 625 lines and which colour system to use.

Last edited by emeritus; 21st Apr 2024 at 11:50 am. Reason: typos
emeritus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2024, 12:00 pm   #22
Rich Woods
Hexode

We left Carlisle in July 71. Still no BBC2 until later that year I believe, but we did have 2 BBC channels, BBC1 & BBC Scotland and Border all in glorious 405.
Old 21st Apr 2024, 6:26 pm   #23
dazzlevision
Dekatron

I was too young to remember BBC2 opening in 1964 and we only had a one year old Decca DR41 TV (Thorn 850 convertible chassis) which was 405 only , unless a converter kit was fitted.

However, I do recall the commencement of some colour TV programmes on BBC2 in 1967, starting with outside broadcasts from the Wimbledon tennis championships. We still had the Decca set, but a relative had a dual standard 19" Marconiphone (Thorn 2000 chassis), so I was agog at seeing colour TV for the first time.

Around the same time, I recall seeing a colour TV in the showroom window of our local Currys. In order for the picture not to be washed out by direct daylight onto the screen, it had a large black cardboard sunshield fixed around the CRT's screen.

I've attached a scan of a 1969 Pye colour TV advert, featuring their two dual standard models and making a big thing of their TVT division, which made a lot of the UHF TV transmitters. Does anyone know which transmitter site actually features in their advert?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pye colour TV advert in RT 1969.pdf (1.96 MB, 145 views)
dazzlevision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2024, 10:05 pm   #24
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
What a "Hullaballoo - and Custard"...
Sixty years old, and hasn't lost her squeak..

Paul
One of the first things David Attenborough did when he became BBC2 controller was to drop Hullabaloo & Custard!
Old 22nd Apr 2024, 10:57 pm   #25
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
One of the first things David Attenborough did when he became BBC2 controller was to drop Hullabaloo & Custard!
I suppose Hullabaloo is a nod to "Here's looking at You", but what's the significance of Custard?
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 2:01 am   #26
Radio Wrangler

Children's TV cartoon character, I think a cat.

David
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 3:12 am   #27
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

That sounds like "Roobarb and Custard" which aired a decade after the launch of BBC2.
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 10:26 am   #28
Vintage Engr
Heptode

There was more than 'Hullabaloo & custard' in our workshop just after BBC2 went on air...
At that time, here was a scheme where rental TV's over a certain age were allowed to be rented out at a very low rate. Normally these were put out to pensioners (like me!).

However this did not at this time include any 625-line/UHF sets, as of course most of them were new or in the case of the 'convertible' models nearly new.

Enter a keen young engineer, - who having been on the latest training courses from Rediffusion came up with an idea. I waited until my supervisor was on holiday, & in between repairing rental TV's found a nice CA/17/4B Plessey chassis 17" console (similar to a Regentone) which also had the additional benefit of VHF/FM radio.

Having sneaked a suitable UHF tuner from the stores, I began a conversion project.
After considerable re-alignment of the I.F. strip, and modifications to the line stage I actually got it to work, tolerably well.
I then took a brace & bit to the side of the cabinet, to make a suitable hole for the new UHF tuner. All went well, & I left the resultant single-standard (something I hadn't really thought about) on the soak bench over the weekend.

My Supervisor returned from holiday on the next Monday, & was somewhat amazed to see a BBC-2 test card on a 'de-controlled 'cheapie'..

I of course launched into a description of all the modifications I had carried out, expecting some sort of pleasant reply.

All I got was 'Convert it back, how am I supposed to rent that out with only one channel?? Or words to that effect.

I even had to fill the hole in! To be fair, after his initial 'I don't believe it' moment my supervisor was quite complimentary.

David.
Vintage Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 10:50 am   #29
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham G3ZVT View Post
That sounds like "Roobarb and Custard" which aired a decade after the launch of BBC2.
Yes. It was a very "jittery style" Bob Godfrey animation, narrated by Richard Briers - IIRC!
dazzlevision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 2:19 pm   #30
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post

I even had to fill the hole in! To be fair, after his initial 'I don't believe it' moment my supervisor was quite complimentary.

David.
Did you have sets with slot meters?
The hole could have been used to bolt one to the side. Much better than hanging it on the fibre-board back.

The 405 only sets that were written off where I worked were put out in the back yard awaiting the District Manager's weekley visit. He would use a claw-hammer to smash each board and tube neck, just in case we engineers got any ideas about making use of any of it.
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 3:12 pm   #31
Vintage Engr
Heptode

In answer to Graham, G3ZVT's query, regarding slot meter, - yes we did, but not until much later. So the hole had to be filled with a small circle of wood, & some 'Brummer' filler. I then re-French-polished the right hand side of the cabinet, having been fortunate to be shown how by our semi-resident polisher.

In regard to management breaking up the older single-standard 405 sets, luckily no.
This was because some of our engineers were into building just about anything electronic, so parts from redundant TV's often got re-purposed, e.g. the nice IF can/coils were stripped, rewound& became part of a RX/TX!

This is going a little off-thread, so I will leave it here, & maybe start a further reminiscence with a more suitable thread title...

David.
Vintage Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 3:30 pm   #32
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham G3ZVT View Post
I suppose Hullabaloo is a nod to "Here's looking at You", but what's the significance of Custard?
The, perhaps apocryphal, tale I read somewhere or other is that Hullabaloo was easily agreed on as signifying the wave of public excitement it was hoped a second BBC channel would provoke, but that the meeting to decide the matter was at a loss for what to name her joey until Custard was suggested on the grounds that "custard goes with anything".

I've a 45 lurking somewhere of "Hullabaloo and Custard" as performed by Bob Miller and the Millermen, but I've no idea when and where, or even if, the tune was used in the course of the celebrations...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xT5ejCVA-A

Paul
Paul_RK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2024, 8:49 am   #33
Mr Hoover
Hexode

I knew someone (much later) who worked at BBC Norwich at the time BBC2 fired up the Tacolneston transmitter in the mid 60's.
A kangaroo was on hand for the launch party and this person was in a lift at BBC Norwich with the kangaroo when the lift got stuck between floors, all was OK in the end!
Hugh
Mr Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2024, 1:51 pm   #34
Rich Woods
Hexode

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
What a "Hullaballoo - and Custard"...

Paul
Joyless!
Old 28th Apr 2024, 4:48 pm   #35
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Woods View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Paul
Joyless!
I believe he felt they were too gimmicky!
Old 29th Apr 2024, 5:51 pm   #36
Rich Woods
Hexode

I know, like I said joyless ?