UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 1st Feb 2024, 4:40 pm   #1
ringo747
Diode

Default VCR engineers Northern Ireland

Hi, new to the forum. I've a few VCRs for digitising old tapes. Recent issue is a Panasonic NV-HS which is a lovely unit but tape loading is now broken.

When tape is entered the loading motor will spin, but nothing else moves, the drum doesn't spin like it should and it won't move by hand when I power unit off. I assume this may be seized?

Any initial diagnostic tips for a newbie, and anyone know of any good engineers based in N. Ireland who still do this type of work?

Thanks
ringo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 12:25 am   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: VCR engineers Northern Ireland

The full model number should confirm it (please look it up, maybe it's even on the front of the recorder but certainly on the back). Chances are your VCR has a K deck and the small thingy came loose from the loading motor axle.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 10:41 am   #3
ringo747
Diode

Sorry, I completely forgot the full model number - it's an NV-HS860.

I've since taken a look at the head drum which looks pretty bad, and took out the rotary element beneath which has a magnet attached. On putting it back together the head now spins which is progress. Is the rotary transformer (?) ring supposed to be lubricated?

The main problem seems to be on tape loading, nothing appears broken but the main cogs that rotate the spindles that drive the tape start turning as soon as the tape is even slightly entered so to me it looks like some timing issue. I've read about the mode selector and I will try to clean this as it almost looks like its trying to play the tape before the tape is even inserted.

When I do push the tape in it goes only so far, but doesn't drop down the guardrails at the end.

I'm very wary of taking the full mechanism out as there are a few wires connected which don't seem to come easily off the board connectors.

VXP2049 is the head number but I assume these are almost impossible to get nowadays.
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 2:57 pm   #4
Amtec123
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
The full model number should confirm it (please look it up, maybe it's even on the front of the recorder but certainly on the back). Chances are your VCR has a K deck and the small thingy came loose from the loading motor axle.
I would agree, on this transport a very common fault was failure of the small plastic linkage, this connected the loading motor to deck. It is a 'push fit' onto the motor shaft, and hidden within the worm drive gear after some time the plastic splits. This reduced / lost drive to the transport, unfortunately to access this component means removing the transport.
Old 6th Feb 2024, 6:10 pm   #5
ringo747
Diode

This unit is actually a Z deck but I have heard of that problem on the K deck.

I've managed to get the mechanism out and have cleaned down the mode selector switch. Something is still very odd on the loading mechanism so I'm going to try dismantling that via the service manual instructions.

I think the problem is some mis-timing but with the various springs putting quite a lot of tension on some components, it is too hard to move without damaging anything.

Removing the full head cyclinder and refitting has at least fixed the seized drum but I fear the heads are very bad.

Any tips for how to remove the connectors from the board? I really don't want to break/snap those but they are so difficult to reach.
Old 6th Feb 2024, 7:25 pm   #6
Red to black
Nonode

One of the most common faults on the Z mechanism was a broken tooth on the take up loading arm gear, this is driven via the rack gear from the main cam, this is on the underside of the mechanism.
Old 6th Feb 2024, 9:41 pm   #7
ringo747
Diode

If that is the two smaller gears on the bottom then they seem to be ok.

Something seems a bit strange with the main cam and the drive rack arm on the right hand side (usually connected to a spring). It seems like this the main gear timing may be off as it "slips" when moving the loading arms and doesn't seem to sit in the right position. Maybe everything needs reset timing-wise.

It seems I need some circlip removers to get much further in my tear-down.
Old 19th Apr 2024, 8:07 pm   #8
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Just wondering did you ever fix this one?
IanNVJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote