UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 4th Apr 2024, 11:22 am   #1
drykid_
Triode

Default Ferguson 4646 television - any info?

Picked up this Ferguson 4646 portable television at a local auction this week. It's in a fairly poor condition (cosmetically anyway, I'm not brave enough to actually try plugging it in) but it was only £6 so I couldn't resist. I say "portable" because of the handle on top but you wouldn't want to carry this around on a regular basis as it's very heavy indeed. Screen size of the main picture tube (not the outer glass part) is about 15 inches diagonally roughly. Overall the diagonal is about 22 inches.

I thought it would be easy to find more info online but I can't find seem to find a single reference to this model at all. Only thing I did find is a list of Thorn chassis on another site with diagrams for each and the positioning of the controls on the back here seems close to those given for the Thorn 700 Phase II chassis. So I suppose it's likely that that's what this is based on too. Which would make it a monochrome dual-standard set. But can anyone confirm?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240403_171615.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	295833   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240403_171357.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	295834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240403_171425.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	295835   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240403_171442.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	295836  
drykid_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2024, 11:56 am   #2
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Default Re: Ferguson 4646 television - any info?

That's an interesting find and a great display item.
It's best not to plug it in at this stage, the TV experts can guide you through this if you want to restore it.
You have obviously found this chassis guide:
https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/vintage-...chassis-guide/
It certainly looks like the 700 series, note that it says "convertible" but as this one only has one aerial socket it seems to be 405 line VHF only so would need a standards converter costing over £200 to make it work today.
Simon Gittins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2024, 1:26 pm   #3
drykid_
Triode

Thanks for the info, yep that's the site I looked at. I did actually mean to ask if there was some obvious way that someone with no clue like me could tell if a set was 405-line, 625-line or both just by looking at it, but I see you've answered that anyway I don't know what my plans are for it to be honest, I guess I bought it mostly because I was curious to find out more about it. I'm not unduly bothered that it's 405-line only as I've never owned a 405-line set before and therefore that makes it interesting to me. Also I don't mind so much the idea that a converter for it would be expensive as I suspect that paying someone to restore it to full working order in the first place would cost a lot more than that anyway. (And I'm pretty sure I don't have the skills to mess with it myself. )
Old 4th Apr 2024, 1:33 pm   #4
Station X

I'd expect a 405 line only set to have a VHF turret tuner where the channel selection knob clicks into place on each channel.

A 625 line only set on the other hand would have a UHF tuner with a continuously variable tuning knob.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2024, 2:54 pm   #5
drykid_
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I'd expect a 405 line only set to have a VHF turret tuner where the channel selection knob clicks into place on each channel.

A 625 line only set on the other hand would have a UHF tuner with a continuously variable tuning knob.
Ahh thanks, I'll bear that in mind in future. But yep, on this one it clicks into place for each channel. Never realised that 405-line TVs were different in that respect!
Old 4th Apr 2024, 7:33 pm   #6
gallowfields
Hexode

yes definately 405 lines , even remember picking one up in p /ex for visionhire many years ago 1969/70 ish . they were obviously giving so many free months rental with a p/ex
gallowfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2024, 9:16 pm   #7
Horris
Hexode

It appears to be a Ferguson 546t.
Horris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2024, 8:21 am   #8
drykid_
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horris View Post
It appears to be a Ferguson 546t.
I just looked at photos of that model; there are definitely some cosmetic similarities, but going by the positions of the controls on the back that one seems to be based around a different chassis?
Old 5th Apr 2024, 8:56 am   #9
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

It's the later 646T. Service manual available HERE.

Regards,

Tony.
Old 5th Apr 2024, 9:17 am   #10
drykid_
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8KBG Tony View Post
It's the later 646T. Service manual available HERE.

Regards,

Tony.
Thanks, I tried looking for a photo online of the 646T but couldn't see one. But if it's the same as mine then why is this one labelled "Model 4646"? (The model number was supposed to be visible in the photo of the rear I posted previously, but I realise now that resizing it to under 200KB to meet forum requirements has rendered the smaller details unreadable. Anyway I've attached a crop below that should be clearer.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240403_171442 (2).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	295861  
Old 5th Apr 2024, 9:39 am   #11
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

There's a picture in the manual. Everything seems to match up with the photos you posted.

Not sure about the discrepancy in model number, but there is a similarity - (4)646T.

Possibly an export or a rental model from one of the major chains at the time. Someone on here is bound to know.

Cheers,

Tony.
Old 5th Apr 2024, 9:55 am   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Nice! Thorn 600 series 405 line chassis. Good Mullard tube and generally a good LOPT but dry it out first! Probably just caps, No waxies if I remember. Tube is probably a Mullard short neck MW43-89. It will give a brilliant high contrast picture. Do not blanket change caps! It was a standard catalogue model.
John.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2024, 10:12 am   #13
high_vacuum_house
Octode

It looks as if it has the “binocular” style mains plug which mine is missing. I think you are lucky to have that as it easily lost and not easy to find. I have been looking in all the oddments boxes at radio fairs for one but no luck yet!

Christopher Capener