UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2019, 12:10 pm   #1
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default And Made By....??

I sometimes wonder about those really obscure Radiograms made in the UK between the late 1940s and mid 1950s. Not the Plessey made products branded Westminster or Defiant or other familiar types branded Ace or Ambassador.

But who were PERTH? Who were AUSTIN?

Did these firms actually build their own chassis or were they subcontracted out so that the "Maker" could just assemble the chassis, autochanger, speaker into a self-made or 3rd party built cabinet?
Old 30th Oct 2019, 1:30 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: And Made By....??

There seems to have been quite a business in supplying wooden radio/radiogram cabinets - both by small 'jobbing' carpentry/joinery firms and the larger more-upmarket furniture-makers such as Waring&Gillow.
Old 30th Oct 2019, 1:47 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

In the Sixties every town had a furniture store, and among the three piece suites and wardrobes was often a 'lowboy' radiogram or maybe even a tape recorder or portable record player. They boasted unusual makes, usually sounding reassuringly British, which of course they were. The quality varied enormously, usually a BSR record or tape deck and a two-valve amplifier.
I imagine most of these were assembled by small firms. As long as the cabinet looked the part the innards didn't have to be a Hacker or Dynatron!
Old 30th Oct 2019, 1:59 pm   #4
electronicskip
Nonode

A lot of the radiogram cabinets and speaker boxes were made in the East end of London after the war along side bedside tables and wardrobes as a side line .
Old 30th Oct 2019, 8:56 pm   #5
Arthur2075
Pentode

It was the same in the 1920’s to 30’s. Numerous furniture companies would sell a cabinet gramophone made up of standard parts such as Garrard motors, Goldring sound boxes etc.I have one labeled an ‘Astoria’ and sold by Littlewoods based in Portabello Rd. Many turn up with various names. The cabinets are all very similar to an HMV 160.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9DEF8D65-61D3-4DD4-A23C-28DBDE566330.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	192755  
Old 30th Oct 2019, 9:22 pm   #6
John10b
Nonode

When I was serving my apprenticeship in the late 50's I made several Record Players, well really I just put them together, there was plenty of decks and amps to be bought and a friend made the cabinets, we didn’t really make any money out of it but it was fun.
Cheers
John
Old 30th Oct 2019, 10:52 pm   #7
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
When I was serving my apprenticeship in the late 50,s I made several Record Players, well really I just put them together, there was plenty of decks and amps to be bought and a friend made the cabinets, we didn’t really make any money out of it but it was fun.
Cheers
John
I also made several record players while still at school and later as an apprentice in the 50’s. Homemade amps, usually push pull 6V6’s giving about 8 watts and driving an 8 inch speaker. Cabinets were home designed and the plywood cut to size by my friendly timber merchant, assembled by me and covered in Rexine. Normally fitted a Collaro or Garrard changer. Beat all the Dansettes of the day.
Old 1st Nov 2019, 1:03 pm   #8
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: And Made By....??

Hi,
In 1953 my Dad bought a 'Beethoven' table radiogram. It was the usual three band chassis with 'H' series B7G valves and an internal frame aerial. It sported a Garrard autochanger.
I remember that it took ages to warm up and always had a quiet mains hum. I think that may have been due to it having half wave rectification (an HY90 rectifier).
I've often wondered about the history of Beethoven, and I was told that it had a Plessey chassis.
It gave us many years of joyful entertainment, both radio and records, and I still have it, tatty, but still working. An aunty of mine also had one, but that had a BSR deck.
I found the round badge under the motorboard a couple of months ago.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beethoven radiogram.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	192869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back 1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	192870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badge 3.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	192871  
Old 6th Nov 2019, 12:36 am   #9
dalgwcobl
Pentode

I built a couple of record players using the Mullard Unilex modules - a PSU, a pre-amp with tone controls and two power amps, all in plastic boxes and just needing simple wiring between them. You could just position the modules on a board (I think they even supplied a template for the layout and interconnections). Fed from a Sonotone 9TAHC cartridge and with about 5 watts RMS a channel output to a pair of twin-cone 8" speaker drivers, they sounded pretty good.
Old 6th Nov 2019, 6:06 am   #10
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I remember the Mullard Unilex. Yes there was a template sheet showing how to position the 4 modules, I think I still have it somewhere. There was also a control panel available, just the potentiometers for volume/balance/tone controls with open-ended wires soldered to them that you connected to the terminals on the modules. Or you could make your own from pots and wire.

The pre-amp and power amps were, I think, standard Philips/Mullard modules (I forget the LP.... numbers but could probably find them) fitted with screw terminals and put in the plastic cases.

I also remember one company (was it RTVC of Acton) cramming a couple of IC power amplifiers into the PSU module and selling that together with the pre-amp and control panel.
Old 9th Nov 2019, 8:09 am   #11
camtechman
Nonode

In 1963 (after leaving school) I was apprenticed to Lebus Furniture & Cabinets (Ely estate Edmonton North London).

At the time, all I did for the first months was making cups of tea, sweeping the floor & work benches & Once a week I attended Tottenham Technical College. Around that time Lebus announced a combined wall cabinet that had compartments for a R2R Tape Recorder & Record Player and storage slots for LP's.