UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2019, 10:03 am   #1
ThickPhilM
Diode

Default Black Star 4503 totERR

Hello forum

Just came back to messing about with electronics after a few years of messing about with other things...

Been building up a set of test gear, and one DMM I acquired has an error code on power up that isn't in either the user or service manuals.

It's a Black Star 4503, and gives the message 'totERR' (after the message 'CALERR' ) during the POST.

The NiCd memory battery was dead and leaking, replaced it but it still gives the error messages.

It seems to read reasonably accurately, comparing it to other meters I have, which include a Fluke 8840A which incidentally arrived with the cal button pressed, but seems to have kept it's cal memory nevertheless, no error codes from this little beauty.

So maybe it's some kind of firmware error? Is firmware even available for these any more? I read in an old post that someone has the original 5.25" disk and offered to copy it to a more modern format for the OP, and I'd certainly appreciate it if someone can do this for me.

Additionally, any advice on calibration services would be appreciated, the companies I've contacted so far don't seem very interested in dealing with low volume old equipment, reading between the lines...
Old 21st Jul 2019, 4:18 pm   #2
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Re: Black Star 4503 totERR

Hi!

"totERR" is given when all the backup copies of the calibration constants originally stored in RAM are corrupted and the microprocessor cannot load any more within the specified tolerances designed into the meter's firmware!

Unfortunately there is no easy resolution for this one I'm afraid – the only satisfactory cure will be to try and find someone with a Fluke or Datron Multi Product Calibrator to go thro' the full calibration again, AFTER replacing the RAM chip with a brand new one of equivalent specification.

Because the RAM is battery–backed, it's almost impossible to read it's contents out unless you can clip a programmer to it with flying ribbon–cables while the device is powered up!

However, I do have a TTi 1604 DMM that uses the same basic design and I think the calibration may be in EEPROM – I can try and see if I can read it out next weekend!

Regrettably I do NOT have access to a Precision Multi Product Calibrator, (but if the P.L. gives me a very kind smile, I'll be getting the biggest & heaviest parcel my friend has ever ranted at me for!) – please PM me if you'd like me to try and get the calibration constants from my 1604!

It might be worth asking the Metrology Chaps on the EEV Blog Forum – there might be someone in the UK with a Fluke or Datron who's willing to help for a small fee!

Failing that, try contacting RS – the '4503 is a modern "closed–case calibrated" instrument ao RS's Calibration Service ought to be able to do it!

Chris Williams

PS!

There is the Service Manual on KO4BB – do you have a copy?

Last edited by Chris55000; 21st Jul 2019 at 4:27 pm.
Old 21st Jul 2019, 5:10 pm   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

Having used RS’s calibration service before on my 34401A I think sending it to a farrier would be a better result. They said it was out of cal and tried to sell me a new keysight box. Sent it to Calmet in the end and it went straight through. Grr.
Old 21st Jul 2019, 6:23 pm   #4
ThickPhilM
Diode

Haha yeah RS are a bit hit and miss... profit is clearly their highest priority, so I use them very rarely...

Good to know what the error code means, no surprise that all the copies were gone as the battery v measured 1.1v or so...

It still seems pretty good on accuracy compared to my other meters, so I'm not in a huge panic to get it recalibrated, though if funds allow it might make sense to get it done at the same time as the 8840, if I ever find someone for that...

@Chris, yes I already got the user and service manuals from K04BB thanks

@MrBungle I'll add Calmet to the list of cal services I am emailing for a quote, thanks...
Closed Thread