UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2011, 9:02 am   #21
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Pye 6000 Music Centre nicotine nightmare!

Foam cleaner is great stuff. I always use it to remove the grime from repair jobs and items I acquire.

I remember the boss at the TV shop I worked at telling us how good it was and that it wouldn't harm anything electronic, then proceeded to spray it on the top of a TV set, resulting in lots of sparks from around the anode cap

Brian
Old 22nd Feb 2015, 3:27 pm   #22
korpberget
Retired Dormant Member

Nice!
I found one myself behind a local store, thrown away.
This is the same unit only its called Dux TAPC 6000. Same Philips record player and all.
All pots and switches were noisy, A little lube and claenup and it works great!
Only need a new belt for the record player.
Currently bringing life to my old Tandberg Studio Monitors. And the combination sounds really great! Loud and clear! Must be a quite decent amp in this unit. Good FM reseption and all.
Good job!

Btw, what is the function of the button marked "mute/rif"?
Old 27th Feb 2015, 12:21 am   #23
Michael Maurice

Nice work, looks like a nice machine.

Cricklewood electronics sell the correct festoon bulbs

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 27th Feb 2015, 7:57 pm   #24
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Well done Steve, a very worthwhile rescue.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 27th Feb 2015, 8:51 pm   #25
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

We're talking about a very old thread here, but well done from me too.

I presume the record deck is one of those nice, sprung subchassis designs that Philips were so good at in the mid-1970s?

The chassis, OTOH, looks very Japanese, so best of both worlds really.

It's very well-spec'd, not least because the Pye branding was generally reserved by Philips for more basic models at that time (I think).

Nick.
Old 28th Feb 2015, 2:09 am   #26
unitaudio
Heptode

I used to have a Sound Project 6000 receiver, bought from a flea market for £5. It sounded very well indeed and my only gripe was that the input sockets were DIN types whereas the Philips version of the same unit was equipped with phono sockets. I wasn't aware there was a music centre version. It's very similar to the receiver except the receiver didn't have the tuning pre-sets. At least I don't think it did (this is a while ago now and I've got through quite a lot of equipment since). I bet most of the innards are the same though.

As we know, there were some awful music centres made but it's nice to see one of the better quality ones being resurrected and looking so good. I get the feeling such items could be the next big thing. Dansettes are now out of the reach of many and are, let's be brutally honest here, manifestly inferior in every way when compared to a true hi fi music centre. Dansettes sell for 3 figure sums and I reckon it's only a matter of time before decent music centres start to attract similar money. They appear to be slowly becoming trendy but we're all familiar with how suddenly interest gathers momentum. An example of this is the Hacker GP42. Less than 10 years ago they could be picked up for next to nothing and in the space of a couple of years the prices went silly. I think that's where the better music centres are heading.

I imagine the 6000 music centre is seriously rare nowadays (in fact, I don't suppose they were ever common compared to some) so it's good to know that at least one has found a sympathetic owner. Lovely stuff!

Regards,
Paul
Old 28th Mar 2015, 7:21 am   #27
FrankB
Heptode

Back in the 70's and 80's we used Krylon Brand foaming cleaner on all the gross nicotine coated non-electronic parts then a good rinse in clean water, and either air dry or a compressor. I used a Freon 12 based cleaner (Now banned by the US EPA Grrrrrr.) to clean all the electronics boards and parts. It worked like gang busters.
Now about the only thing I can get that works on that crud now days is a product called Simple Green, and/ or a heavily based ammonia solution.

(I also had to wear rubber gloves and a respirator because of my severe allergy to tobacco smoke & nicotine. Being literally within 30 seconds of dying once from it was bad enough, thank you. Gotta love those Epi- pens! Took 2 of them to bring me back.)

Think of the poor folks in the house that didn't smoke and had to breathe that crud in day after day.
Old 30th Mar 2015, 1:12 am   #28
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Apologies for late reply. Some of those early music centres were rather good and some, possibly yours, were built and designed here in the UK. A very worthwhile restoration and good write up.
Old 31st Mar 2015, 1:01 pm   #29
Station X

Two off topic posts deleted.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread