UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2016, 10:47 am   #1
Dazmond
Hexode

Default 1930's (?) GM Frigidaire

Hi Folks,

Something a bit different to what i'm normally used to, but it was just around the corner from me and I got it for a song so I thought i'd give it a go.

I'm currently researching these as I know little about them, the unit still works but I would at least like to modernise it as much as I can to make it safe. From what i've found there are 2 ways to go:

1 - Modernise and repair the existing setup

2 - Swap out the compressor & condenser for a modern version

From a safety point of view it makes sense to stick a modern compressor in there but I think it loses some of it's appeal, i've also read that when GM made these like most things they were incredibly over-engineered, so i'm just wondering has anybody had any experience with these and would be willing to share any information?

Many thanks,

Darren.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0418.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	118661  
Old 20th Jan 2016, 12:55 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: 1930's (?) GM Frigidaire

I would leave the original compressor in there.
The only improvement that could be made would be to replace the insulation but this is impractical.
It does have a decent door latch unlike the modern ones that are biased to open just a little if not formally closed.
Old 20th Jan 2016, 1:14 pm   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The problem with early fridges with the separate motor - compressor set up, is loss of gas via the compressor bearings, as with car aircon, although if its running all the time it should last longer. Is it working OK now or does it need gassing? A new bearing seal would be the way forward - if you can get one!

Peter
Old 20th Jan 2016, 1:42 pm   #4
Dazmond
Hexode

Hi Folks thank you for your replies,

Yes it's working now, it's basically gone through the family I got it off from generation to generation. I have a friend who's going to sort out all the cosmetic work and give it a respray.

Is there anything I can do to it maintenance wise that would prolong it's life that I can do myself without the help of a refrigeration engineer? Such as the bearing seals like you suggested Peter?

Many thanks,

Darren.
Old 20th Jan 2016, 11:08 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

My early 1950's edition of Odhams "Radio Television and Electrical Repairs" describes and illustrates various types of pre-sealed unit compressor fridges and how to service them, but in most cases a refrigeration engineer would still be needed to recharge the system with refrigerant afterwards.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 12:04 am   #6
kirstyd
Heptode

i worked for frigidaire in the early 70s i can tell you the mechanics of your fridge are far superior to any modern counterpart .When running correctly this machine should be silent if its not some of its rubber mounts may have perished these can easily be replaced .Some of the old rubber wiring [if not already]may need replacing but apart from that i would leave well alone
Old 21st Jan 2016, 12:11 am   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

I wonder what refrigerant that one uses
Old 21st Jan 2016, 12:51 am   #8
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Probably some kind of now illegal freon. I think the best way of keeping it in working order is to use it, car aircon compressor seals fail because most people don't use the aircon in the winter.

My car aircon doesn't usually work which doesn't bother me a lot as it rarely gets hot enough for me to need it in this country, although I have just bought a car in which it does work - so will have to remember to switch it on now and again.

Peter
Old 21st Jan 2016, 1:23 am   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

Probably R22 (according to Google) There is no more manufacture, but it can be reclaimed and re-used during repairs until 2020. It is illegal to vent it into the atmosphere, but presumably you could get it repaired by a commercial company if necessary, if you can find one willing to do the work. This was an American website, but the regulations are international.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 3:13 am   #10
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Substitute refrigerants are available for old car aircon systems; presumably the same is true for fridges.
I've noticed coldstores in current use based on equipment of similar vintage, which must be kept going somehow.
I have a couple of early '40s (as far as I can judge) Frigidaire compressors intended for use with ammonia.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 9:22 am   #11
Dazmond
Hexode

Thank you all this has been really helpful!

The plan is to use it on a daily basis once it has all been sorted out, i've not had chance to have a good look at it yet as I only picked it up on Sunday, but this weekend I think I might dismantle it a little and take some shots of the compressor etc and post them up here if people wouldn't mind having a look?

Anything electrical I plan to renew, I'll check out those compressor mounts too.

Yes I also read somewhere that there's a modern equivalent to to the gas it uses, if it comes to that I will have to get an engineer for that stage of the work. Bottom line is I don't have a huge amount of money to spend on it, i've called in a favour from a friend for the cosmetics, I can sort anything electrical out so hopefully there wont be too much left.

If I could keep it original as possible that would be absolutely great!

Quote:
My early 1950's edition of Odhams "Radio Television and Electrical Repairs" describes and illustrates various types of pre-sealed unit compressor fridges and how to service them, but in most cases a refrigeration engineer would still be needed to recharge the system with refrigerant afterwards.
I don't suppose it would be at all possible to obtain scans of this by any chance?

Many thanks,

Darren.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 2:42 pm   #12
Brigham
Octode

You need your own copy of Odhams "Radio Television and Electrical Repairs", if you are interested in the kind of things found on this Forum!
Readily available on-line in used condition, less than a fiver. Shows you how to repair real things properly!
Old 21st Jan 2016, 3:18 pm   #13
emeritus
Dekatron

Scan as requested. From the 3rd edition (1956), but probably much of the chapter is carried over from the first edition (1948) and would reflect pre-war technology. Sealed unit compressors only get a brief description and no illustrations.

It is certainly well worth getting a copy of the complete book: mine was my late father's, bought new circa 1960, and has proved invaluable in overhauling old electrical stuff, as well as giving me an insight into how radios and TVs worked when I was a schoolboy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fridge chapter.pdf (1.45 MB, 145 views)

Last edited by emeritus; 21st Jan 2016 at 3:23 pm.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 4:45 pm   #14
Dazmond
Hexode

Thank you for that so much I really appreciate it, I didn't know this book was so easily available or I wouldn't have asked, I will definitely get a copy I notice there's a few on ebay.

This is great though, very useful for my endeavour - thank you for taking the time to scan it.

All the best,

Darren.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 9:06 pm   #15
AC/HL
Dekatron

Mine was £2, as new from one of those old bookshops that are laid out like a maze, but yes, there is one on eBay at the moment.
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 8:45 am   #16
Dazmond
Hexode

I've managed to grab one for £5, I didn't realise it was so comprehensive looking at what's covered, looking forward to receiving it!

For anyone who is interested i'll take some more shots of the fridge this weekend and update this thread.

Many thanks,

Darren.
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 12:27 pm   #17
Andrew B
Heptode

Darn it. I did have a nearly full cylinder of R22 here, but I took it down to the recycle centre as I figured I would never find a use for it. It came from a closed down air conditioning service shop.

I have a cylinder of R134a and a set of service gauges, so at least I can top up the system on my car.

You will probably find that the compressor has "service ports" attached, these look like schraeder valves with caps on, the compressor will probably be labelled with information regarding gas type, lubricant type and capacities.

Fridges like these represented a considerable investment in the family home, and as such it was possible to replace or service almost any part, unlike today's mass produced items that seem to litter every available "fly tipping" spot.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of the "works"

Andrew
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 12:42 pm   #18
Dazmond
Hexode

Ah such a shame! not to worry - i'm hoping it might still be ok as the last generation of owners used it as a champagne chiller and by all accounts it did the job rather well.

Increasingly most things in my house are being replaced with a vintage equivalent for many reasons but especially that one, i'm sick of most things you buy now being junk. I'm too young to have owned any of this the first time round but I can clearly see the difference!

Yes i'll get as many photos as I can this weekend, i've not dove into it at all yet so i'm looking forward to having a look myself!

Many thanks,

Darren.
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 5:07 pm   #19
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

If you do end up recharging it yourself, you need to be aware that under certain conditions the oil in the system can become highly acidic. Likewise, escaping refrigerant can cause frostbite, eye damage etc. Take appropriate precautions!
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 9:30 pm   #20
McMurdo
Dekatron

One of the oldest refrigerants, ammonia, is apparently coming back into fashion as it is very ozone-friendly and decomposes easily. The reason I am interested in that sort of thing is that I have early memories as a boy (early 1970's!) of one of my auntie's favourite anecdotes how her trusty fridge 'burst one day and filled the whole of the downstairs with this awful, awful smell. The repair man said get out, get out, its ammonia!!'. The tale would be followed by other older family members tut-tutting and shaking their heads as if she'd had a near-death experience.