UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2018, 12:55 pm   #61
Scimitar
Heptode

Default Re: Compressor purchase

Euro connectors are now very common and flow better than standard PCL. There is a better version of PCL which I think is called "XF" but the Euro are easily available and inexpensive. Liddl and Aldi tools come with a Euro fitting as standard, so why not use it?

All my tools are now converted to Euro from PCL.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 1:47 pm   #62
stevehertz
Dekatron

Like I said, it was popular option mentioned when I asked about connector types, so I chose it. My choice mind, not blaming anyone (!) and in any case, PCL components are high quality, so I'm quite happy. Plus I have that inline adapter/converter unit, so I'm able to connect with most items including my next door neighbour's kit that is Euro.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 2:45 pm   #63
Scimitar
Heptode

For domestic use, it is of little importance, however when you are trying to run a spraygun and air fed mask from the supply, little things like that that can make all the difference.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 3:17 pm   #64
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
The way that regulator control is configured, then screwing it clockwise would appear to be the way to 'block off' that airway? Of course my 'logic' may be wrong. I don't want to switch it on full blast at my first attempt!
I wouldn't think that it would matter that much. It will take the tank a while to fill up so you won't get max. pressure immediately anyway. While the pressure is building up you can play around with the regulator if you're not sure which way the adjustment works.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 15th Feb 2018, 9:50 pm   #65
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

With a pressure regulator, it is nothing to do with blocking airways. The knob acts on a spring pressing a diaphragm against a valve. The spring balances the inlet and output pressures in conjunction with the valve to achieve the desired result.
For more info, look here:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_regulator

Les.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 9:58 pm   #66
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Les. So, anti-clockwise it is then to turn the pressure to minimum.
Old 20th Feb 2018, 8:11 pm   #67
stevehertz
Dekatron

All the required connectors eventually arrived, duly fitted and the beast was fired up. Blimey, it can be quite daunting not to mention a tad scary! Firstly, as has been said, these things are quite noisy and you get quite a shock when you first fire one up. I also tested the safety valve as advised to do so and it nearly took my face off! Anyway, all was to the script and equipped with my air tool I blasted out a very dusty, dirty hifi receiver. Jesus, this thing has power in buckets, talk about remove dust? it can lift paint! (well almost). I did notice that when used continuously, or nearly, the reservoir pressure and hence the output pressure drops as a result, although not in any way problematic for my purposes.

Thanks for the advice and guidance everyone who contributed to this thread.