UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2019, 10:09 pm   #1
Sinewave
Octode

Default 1945 Avometer Model 7

I recently acquired my first Air Ministry Model 7.

Now, I need to open it up. However most of the screw heads have corroded away.

In typical fashion, if I had an item in the workshop which was steel cased with screws like this, I'd drill them out. However, being a bakelite case I'd rather get some advice first from some more experienced restorers.

Thanks in advance!
Old 20th May 2019, 10:31 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: 1945 Avometer Model 7

One useful set of tools i have yet to get is a set of left handed drill bits. Being brass screws it should be quite easy to centre pop them then persuade them out with a (2mm? 2.5mm?) LH bit on a slow speed. The brass tends to be quite hard in these instruments though, and the bit could start grabbing and spin the whole meter round or shear the screw. Quickly backing off on downward pressure is the best way of fighting this.

If you don't have LH drill bits heating what's left of the screw head with a soldering iron, oiling it with wd40, then tapping it round might work. (Not too much heat though; as you know at this point in history the screws probably go straight into bakelite rather than brass inserts)

Dave
Old 20th May 2019, 10:37 pm   #3
Sinewave
Octode

Thanks Dave,

I think a start with the left hand drills is a good idea. I'd probably be best to use a pillar drill rather than a hand drill for this, which I don't have at home - but we have one at work.

They already think I'm mad at work, imagine being seen putting an Avometer in the pillar drill!
Old 21st May 2019, 7:01 am   #4
AndyGilham
Pentode

Sounds lke a bit of gentle persuasion......with a high speed roational drill and a meter clamp down hard......sounds just the job!

I have 2x model 7, a model 7 mk2 and a model 40 mk2 on my very tidy work desk at the moment, I really should move them.... i'm getting a lot of comments at either end of the scale from 'wow an Avometer, i used to own one' to 'get rid of that old rubbish'

Andy
Old 21st May 2019, 7:57 am   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

Left handed drill bits , I didn't know about these, must look for some , I have tried looking for small thread extractors with no luck , Mick.
Old 21st May 2019, 9:27 am   #6
brunel
Heptode

You might find suitable screw extractors here.

https://www.ffx.co.uk/Search/Elastic...0extractor/1/7
Old 21st May 2019, 9:46 am   #7
Sinewave
Octode

The trouble with extractors is you need to drill a hole first and they tend to be bigger than the the 6BA thread of the Avo.
Old 21st May 2019, 1:57 pm   #8

with a dremel and a grinder, destroy the head of the screw and pull out the case.

Old 21st May 2019, 4:31 pm   #9
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitor Eneko View Post
with a dremel and a grinder, destroy the head of the screw and pull out the case.
That sounds as though it won't only be the screw which gets destroyed!
Old 21st May 2019, 6:42 pm   #10
The Philpott
Dekatron

I never really considered LH drill bits until i had a couple of cordless drills with a reverse gear. They are more expensive than RH bits (You knew they would be..) A set of Imperial bits seem to be cheaper than the metric ones (suits me fine..)

Dave

Last edited by The Philpott; 21st May 2019 at 6:56 pm.
Old 21st May 2019, 8:50 pm   #11
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
I never really considered LH drill bits until i had a couple of cordless drills with a reverse gear. They are more expensive than RH bits (You knew they would be..) A set of Imperial bits seem to be cheaper than the metric ones (suits me fine..)

Dave
I'm going to see my ex Fleet Street printing press engineer friend at the weekend (who has every tool known to man), I bet he has some left hand drills - if not, then I'll just buy a small selection.