UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2017, 6:50 pm   #21
Ekcoman
Heptode

Default BBC 4 9pm tonight DANSETTE BERMUDA (James May)

Maybe of interest on telly tonight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bermuda 63.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	136123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dansette Bermuda 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	136124  
Old 18th Jan 2017, 9:15 pm   #22
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Re: Reassembling Dansette (TV prog)

I happened to love that sturdy piece of furniture in my parents living room that happened to be a hacker radiogram even though i had something far superior to a Dansette upstairs
Old 18th Jan 2017, 10:35 pm   #23
paulsherwin

At the end of the programme he was clearly playing the single with the 78 stylus, though this changed to the LP stylus in later shots without explanation. The single No Limit dates from 1993 and was stereo, so it would have been nicely mangled whichever stylus was used. That was just sloppy.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 10:48 pm   #24
vidjoman
Dekatron

I only caught the last few moments of the prog live, will look at the rest later. I too noticed the wrong stylus being used. I guess the music didn't come from the Dansette as each different shot looked as though the record had only just started.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 11:14 pm   #25
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The single No Limit dates from 1993 and was stereo, so it would have been nicely mangled whichever stylus was used. That was just sloppy.
You weren't paying attention for a moment there, Paul! It would have been ok if it was played with the LP stylus, that white cartridge was the stereo. BSR TC8S.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 11:18 pm   #26
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
I guess the music didn't come from the Dansette as each different shot looked as though the record had only just started.
It sounded appalling wherever it was coming from!
Old 18th Jan 2017, 11:22 pm   #27
Michael Maurice

Here my two pennys worth:

A lot of the difficult parts of the assembling was edited out, there seemed to be no grease on the speed selector mechanism.

He said the amplifier came pre-assembled, Wrong the deck came pre assembled, the amplifier was assembled at the factory.

All adjustments were made outside camera shot

8 hours to reassemble it? It takes around three and that includes stripping and cleaning.

I'd love to know where he got that player from, it looked brand new!

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 18th Jan 2017, 11:31 pm   #28
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The single No Limit dates from 1993 and was stereo, so it would have been nicely mangled whichever stylus was used. That was just sloppy.
You weren't paying attention for a moment there, Paul! It would have been ok if it was played with the LP stylus, that white cartridge was the stereo. BSR TC8S.
I stand corrected.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 11:48 pm   #29
Top Cap
Octode

He kept faith with that selenium rectifier! I would have replaced that and what about the non illuminated neon? I think I would have also tested it electrically before screwing the motor board back in, so many times over confidence led to dismantling again
Old 18th Jan 2017, 11:52 pm   #30
Michael Maurice

I've never had a problem with the selenium rectifier in these, there is on some models a 6.3V bulb for the on indicator.

I can tell you he didn't do it alone as I was once asked to help, (cant remember what happened) but he certainly doesn't do it alone.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 19th Jan 2017, 12:17 am   #31
McMurdo
Dekatron

just watched the dansette and the kenwood chef on iplayer. Thanks for the reminder. I briefly had a flirt with Dansettes and Portadynes and that sort of thing when I first got interested in valve equipment. A nice easy way into the subject!
Old 19th Jan 2017, 6:05 am   #32
mally1956
Retired Dormant Member

He got the player from Mike Wood ,at at Dansette products limited ,a totally restored machine I believe
Old 19th Jan 2017, 6:24 am   #33
camtechman
Nonode

"Ahem" !!

Don't criticise him too much, remember the show is called: "The Reassembler". He does what the show says, nothing more, nothing less.

By the way, what did he drop into his lap when he attempted to drink his tea ?
Old 19th Jan 2017, 10:08 am   #34
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I watched the programme, and may return to it later. One thing I noticed was that, in the first shot of the 45 playing, the green '78' flag was uppermost, though in the second shot, the correct red 'LP' one was visible. Maybe the eror was noticed and corrected off camera.
Despite some 45 years repairing all sorts of audio gear, I've never completely strip[ped an autochanger down to it's individual parts, though this was obviously neccesary for the purposes of the programme. I hope James paralleled the two channels of the PU at the under-deck tagstrip, since a TC8S stereo cartridge was fitted! Incidentally, Dansette Products Ltd. looks to be a very useful source of parts for vintage recordd players and other similar things. Thanks, 'mally1956', for mentionimng them

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 19th Jan 2017 at 10:22 am.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 10:45 am   #35
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

To be honest I was a bit wary of this programme but thought in the end that it was quite a good effort. He did state that the job took around 8 hours to complete so no doubt they had the usual problems.

I understand that the amplifier units were assembled in another factory and delivered as a complete unit for assembly. Dansette originally was the name of a record player manufactured by J & A Magolin Ltd who were better known as manufacturers of add on record playing desks that were connected to the pick up terminals of radio receivers. Very many different designs were produced. John.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 10:48 am   #36
John10b
Nonode

Mike at Dansette products is a very nice guy to talk to, and a good source of information. They took the Dansette apart with the film crew in attendance and were in attendance when James May reassembled it.
Best Regards
John
Aberaeron
Old 19th Jan 2017, 12:09 pm   #37
Ekcoman
Heptode

I have the WHICH magazine somewhere that reviewed the Dansette Bermuda back in 1963 and it had a UA14 deck. I'm thinking that this was a UA15 in the programme which thought came out the following year. Maybe it was a late '63 model? More than happy to be corrected.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 1:20 pm   #38
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Dansette did fit the UA15 deck to Bermudas from about Mid-1963 onwards. A very nice deck for what it was.

Note also James May' reference to the cartridge as a stylus. This is a very common misnomer. Many record players are advertised as being "complete with stylus and needle".
Old 20th Jan 2017, 12:52 am   #39
Herald1360
Dekatron

I noticed that, but he did eventually correctly describe it right at the end.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Jan 2017, 9:01 am   #40
Ekcoman
Heptode

I liked his reference to the cost as brought back a memory from late 62 when I went with my mother to buy our first record player. I wanted this model but we ended up at the Co-op department store and bought a DEFIANT on the HP. My mother said she couldn't afford the Dansette and it was this or nothing.