UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2019, 7:15 pm   #1
line sync
Heptode

Default Can you identify these boards ?

Can anyone identify these tv circuit boards ?
I`ve had these for more than 20 years and never known what chassis they are from but they do look very decca to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05250.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	183473   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05251.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	183474  
Old 20th May 2019, 7:54 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Can you identify these boards ?

They look Decca to me too.
Old 20th May 2019, 8:50 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Telpro version of the Decca 30 series?

DFWB.
Old 20th May 2019, 9:57 pm   #4
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

Also agreed, the panels have a Decca look to them, particularly the connectors and that slider pot on the timebase panel. At first I wondered if there was another single standard hybrid colour Decca chassis other than the 10/30 series "Bradford" chassis but couldn't think of any. Then something stirred in my mind, Telpro. The Telpro was heavily based on the Decca Bradford but with an entirely different layout. I think these panels came from a Telpro chassis, see the pic in the attached link https://g4aqb.wordpress.com/2008/10/27/telpro/amp/
Note the panel next to the technician's right hand, it looks like the timebase panel.

Regards,
Symon
Old 21st May 2019, 6:33 pm   #5
line sync
Heptode

Thanks for your help guys identifying these circuit boards.
I did ask about these boards over on the vrat forum a year or so ago but no one knew what they were.
I don't recall ever seeing a Telpro tv with this chassis , I wonder if any survive ?

Robin
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:12 am   #6
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Agree I can remember these from the few Telpro colour TV's that we saw in for repair back in the day. One is the timebase board with the PCF802 oscillator valve the other is part PSU and sound output where the PCL82 lives.
Old 22nd May 2019, 9:43 pm   #7
toshiba tony
Heptode

Yes, Telpro, In my opinion not as reliable as the Decca equivalent. Seemed to run hotter, everything seemed cramped.
Old 22nd May 2019, 9:56 pm   #8
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I never came across any in my repair days but remember reference to the Telpro set in Television magazine. I also recall in later years seing them being offered by the trade disposal warehouses in the ads section of the magazine. I wonder what arrangement was made with Decca.
It would be good to see some clear pics of the layout of the chassis and have a look at the circuit diagram to see how closely it followed the "Bradford" 30 series chassis.

Regards,
Symon
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:16 pm   #9
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I've just found a useful servicing article on the Telpro sets in Television magazine, August 1977 issue.

Regards,
Symon
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:30 pm   #10
toshiba tony
Heptode

I seem to remember the audio output stage stood directly above the psu, the only hot component was the 4.7ohm surge limiter but that still resulted in the audio pcb getting too warm. In the true Decca version this pcb ran the whole length of the chassis, still got warm though. I had the 26in version in the console cabinet. There was plenty of room inside, I coverted it for teletext, it caught peoples attention at the time.
Old 23rd May 2019, 7:24 pm   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The Telpro version always seemed to have really bad IF instability for some reason. I imagine they were easier to service but never gave the picture a Bradford did. Seems a bit of a pointless exercise, though I admit changing the LOPT, tripler or the surge limiter was easier. Mind you, they could just have made the surge limiter a bit bigger...
They also did the same with the mono 2020 series, using big transformers and chokes instead of the droppers, with a completely redesigned layout. They were usually badged 'Telefusion'. In both cases I regarded them as useful donor chassis.
Old 24th May 2019, 9:36 am   #12
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I agree with Glyn the pictures were never as good as A Decca Bradford 30. Some parts of the chassis were a little bit more accessable but the big failing was the location of the PCF802 line oscillator which meant that they ran much warmer and fail more frequently.
Old 24th May 2019, 10:47 am   #13
slidertogrid
Octode

I Heard the Telpro sets came about as someone involved with the design of the Decca Bradford left his employer ( I don't know if this was Decca or Plessey) and went elsewhere and designed the Telpro. Presumably with the Bradford circuit diagram in his pocket!
I don't know if this is true or if it's just trade gossip but it certainly seems plausible...
I had a few Dealings with ex rental Telpro sets they were disposed of by a rental firm locally at around 10 years old.
I remember giving a newly married friend who was a little short of funds a Telpro which I had obtained from a customer as a part exchange, it went on for quite a few years with no trouble.
As others have said though the picture was never brilliant but to be honest at the time the sets were fairly old so I didn't expect too much I didn't realise they never were!

I have recently obtained a Decca Bradford 22" with mechanical tuner but I haven't seen a Telpro since the late 1980's!

Rich.
Old 24th May 2019, 10:58 am   #14
dazzlevision
Dekatron

According to my research:

Telefusion Vision Ltd, Cobden Mill, Gower Street, Farnworth, Lancs (in 1973). A new manufacturer of colour TV sets. In WW Sep 74, p330, it states the Telefusion CTV factory is at Kearsley, Lancs. The factory was subsequently taken over by ITT Consumer Products – but it didn’t survive for long!
Old 24th May 2019, 7:06 pm   #15
line sync
Heptode

This is all very interesting stuff.
I wonder if decca filed a lawsuit against telefusion for copying there design ?
Perhaps telefusion and decca were linked in some way ?

Robin
Old 24th May 2019, 7:40 pm   #16
ms660
Dekatron

The Telpro was after my time with Telefusion but here's a snippet bit of news from PTV July 1974:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...h=%22telpro%22

Lawrence.
Old 24th May 2019, 9:35 pm   #17
toshiba tony
Heptode

Were these sets solely sold by Trident? Something rings a bell that they were.
Old 24th May 2019, 10:07 pm   #18
Tazman1966
Nonode

In the shop where I worked as a Saturday boy, we relied heavily on the Decca 30 for refurbished sales and also the Telpro equivalents. We found that the Telpro sets were slightly better sellers as they were perceived by prospective purchasers as looking more modern, with their slider controls channel selector layout. This would have been around 1982, 1983.
Old 25th May 2019, 10:08 am   #19
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Odd how the old hybrids soldiered on. The late 18" Bradfords (dark wood cabinet with varicap tuning) sold well as reconditioned sets and I rented out quite a few to students. I think the Telpros were sold as Trident and Tristar as retail sets. You'd have thought the cost of design, tooling and production of a TV was would have been prohibitive, though.
Old 25th May 2019, 2:43 pm   #20
slidertogrid
Octode

During the early 1970's the mainstream manufactures struggled to keep up with demand . Lots of (to us) oddball sets were imported Korting, Emo ,Teleton ,Finlux, Berry colour (uurgh! Shudder) to name a few.
Meanwhile a few enterprising individuals produced UK made sets, remember Tyne? I think Telefusion must have built the Telpro for their own use as rental sets in the first instance.

British relay were certainly struggling to keep up with demand. My parents had rented a set from them from the early 1960's but when Dad went to enquire about a Colour set he was told that there would be a delay and a set could not be installed in time for Christmas.
He crossed the road and got a set from Granada (a Decca 30) which we rented for a year before buying a Marconi set from a local shop.

It surprised me that Decca supplied chassis and tubes to Keracolor when they must have been able to sell every set they built at the time? If there was no shortage of Decca sets I suppose Telefusion must have gone to the trouble of creating the Telpro because they had a huge market and could save money by doing so in the long run?
Closed Thread