UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2019, 7:43 pm   #1
Sinewave
Octode

Default Avo 8 Mk5 Cut out repair

Hello, I'm wondering if this is worth doing or not.

So a non working Mk 5 cost me £1.

I've taken it apart and found that the movement itself is good, but the cut out has broken up in pieces where the contact makes the common in and out.

Now, I have another movement somewhere with an open coil, but the cut out is fine, I'm wondering how successful I'd be in taking the cut out assy from one and placing into the other.

Or araldite this cut out back together, but who knows how long it would last?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3237.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	183566   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3238.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	183567  
Old 21st May 2019, 7:58 pm   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Avo 8 Mk5 Cut out repair

Actually as it takes about 2 mins to open one up of these Avos and whip the movement out, I opened the 'open coil' unit and took out the movement and then removed the cut out assy.

It's only two screws holding it in and being very careful I've fitted it to the good movement.

I am still temped to repair the other cut out so that I have a spare cut out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Replacement cut out.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	183572  
Old 21st May 2019, 8:06 pm   #3

My mk5 has the same problem, is not very complicated to change the cut out system. But it is difficult to find a working one. I am always looking for a good one to replace mine. If you decide to sell or trade yours, let me know.

Aitor Eneko

Old 21st May 2019, 8:10 pm   #4
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitor Eneko View Post
My mk5 has the same problem, is not very complicated to change the cut out system. But it is difficult to find a working one. I am always looking for a good one to replace mine. If you decide to sell or trade yours, let me know.

Aitor Eneko
Well I've never known one which didn't work. I've come across open movements but never known a cut out to be broken into pieces like this one is.

I've swapped over the cut out. So all in all a good result.
Old 21st May 2019, 8:18 pm   #5
Sinewave
Octode

After swapping out the cut outs, the result is a working movement with cut out - but do I place it back?

Thing is the Avo it came from is on the left, has missing insulators and the label has been cut where it says cut out.

Avo on the right is the one with the open movement - the donor for this cut out, but has a missing cut out button.

Both have stained range labelling.

Photo also showing broken cut out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG3240.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	183573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3241.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	183574  
Old 26th May 2019, 2:38 pm   #6
avocollector
Heptode

If it was me I'd go for the Avo on the right (looks in better condition) and see if I could restore the cutout button from the left one. I've successfully restored plastic push levers on tape recorders using superglue 9thin stuff) so you could try that on the broken cutout fragments. Even if it only lasts until several operations the point of having it is NOT to operate it too often.
Old 26th May 2019, 2:41 pm   #7
avocollector
Heptode

Keep on thinking I must get one of those 3 d printers - might be ideal for recreating small broken bits like the cutout.
Old 26th May 2019, 5:32 pm   #8
Sinewave
Octode

I might have a go with super glue, the proper stuff. It's broken anyway, so nothing to lose!
Old 26th May 2019, 7:39 pm   #9
Pamphonica
Nonode

You might try using Gorilla Brand superglue. It is in gel form, and I think I read somewhere that it has micro rubber flecks in it to give very slight give once set.
I've been using it for repairs for a few years and it really works well. And if you tap the pot upright on the workbench a few times after each use, the nozzle clears and it stays good for ages (1-2 years anyway on the current pot).
Old 26th May 2019, 8:26 pm   #10
Mooly
Octode

The cut out on mine became intermittent some months ago. I forget which way around now, but the symptom was that the meter would work only in one position, vertical or horizontal. I've owned the meter from new and its seen very little 'cut out' action over the near 4 decades I've owned it.
Closed Thread