UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2022, 8:51 pm   #1
Keith
Heptode

Default Pye Black Box G63

I'm restoring the above for a friend for whom it has great sentimental value. I've sorted the amplifier with new electrolytics and polyester capacitors in all critical positions. Sinewave now looks good on a scope up to full output. The performance is poor, however, with heavy distortion and one channel well down so I'm guessing a replacement cartridge is called for. The deck is a Garrard AT6 fitted with a Sonotone 8T cartridge. What would be a good replacement for this and where would I find such a thing these days.

Also, although the deck seems OK on Manual, it stops on Auto as soon as the record drops. Is this likely to be fixable by cleaning/ re-greasing?

Any advice appreciated.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G63 cart.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	263009  
Old 17th Aug 2022, 9:40 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Pye Black Box G63

I think you can replace the cartridge with a medium output stereo one ? The deck will want the old grease cleaning out and re lubricating. The intermediate drive wheel may need resurfacing but check it for small radial cracks around the drive surface because if it's cracked it won't resurface very well.
When you have the cam off check the peg that runs in the track of the cam is free to rotate as they are often seized and the changer will work like that but will slow down a lot when changing as the peg will slide in the track rather than rotate as it traverses the track.
Rich
Old 18th Aug 2022, 9:01 am   #3
Keith
Heptode

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is the stereo version that I need. I guess that if I Google for Sonotone 8T replacement I might find something.

OK on the deck refurbishment. I haven't lifted the platter yet so don't know what I'll find under there. I'll post back if I get stuck.

Keith
Old 18th Aug 2022, 9:48 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You'll not find a direct replacement for a Sonotone 8T. Look for a Sonotone 9TA/HC - or BSR SC11M or BSR SC12H. All are Stereo and will load the amplifier well as it was designed to have good gain. Also these will all easily fit the Garrard's headshell.
Old 20th Aug 2022, 4:34 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I’d forget the Sonotone 9TA personally as most have failed over the 50 years since they were last produced. This is a shame because they were one of the best ceramic cartridges in ever made.
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 4:24 pm   #6
Keith
Heptode

Thank you all for your replies. I bought a "generic" turnover cartridge which fitted OK after a bit of fettling. Plenty of output from the amplifiers but it seemed lacking in bass so I paralleled the 10nF coupling capacitors from the first stages with 47nF and this improved things considerably. Bass cut control certainly not required though.

Had problems with the autochanger sticking (even after cleaning/regreasing cam, etc). Following advice on another thread I re-surfaced the idler wheel and abraded the inner surface of the platter drum in a vertical direction. This gave enough grip to operate all autochanger functions.

On the whole not bad performance for a ceramic cartridge and single cone speakers in a non-acoustically designed cabinet.
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 4:52 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

We wanted to use our Pye subsidiary comapny R&A to produce twin-cone 8" drivers for this, but the the planned production volume of the G63 was not high enough to justify this. We could have used ELAC's excellent 8" twin-cone unit, but of course they were not an in-house company. However, with the lid closed and the fairly wide spacing of the drivers in that long-low cabinet the sound, albeit undamped, was deemed adequate.