UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2022, 5:45 am   #1
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Garrard RC75M platter removal

Hello everyone

I'm working on the above changer, and I can't work out how to remove the platter to inspect belts and idler. The manuals for rc75 and rc80 both seem to start their discussions AFTER the platter is removed, so it can't be too hard

Look forward to your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4840.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	262943  

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Old 17th Aug 2022, 1:58 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard rc75m platter removal

It just lifts off - give it a gentle pull upwards. It's on a 'taper', so could be a bit stuck after 6 or 7 decades.
Old 17th Aug 2022, 10:31 pm   #3
Analogue man
Hexode

If the taper is holding it get one assistant with a 1lb hammer and a small block wood, hold the platter with a hand on both sides and if possible with the finger tips slightly under it and get your assistant to place the block of wood where the spindle should be and tap once smartly with the hammer on the block of wood.
Old 18th Aug 2022, 12:02 am   #4
hayerjoe
Hexode

Thanks to techman and analogman (the 'mans' have it). I have removed the platter. Strange having no clip whatsoever.

I'm pleased to report that all looks amazing under the platter, idler and the 2 belts both still supple and evidence of a high quality maintenance regime, which is amazing as the current owner tells me the previous owner never even plugged it in. So donkeys years since the person who did good maintenance had their hands on it!

Thanks again

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Closed Thread