UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2022, 9:07 am   #1
mikes08
Pentode

Default Quad FM3

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=170997

Just following up on this as had an issue with my FM3.
It would not lock onto stereo on turning on - I could coax it by tuning out and in again but after a few seconds the stereo lamp would go out. After about half an hour's running it would then lock in and then be fine for the rest of the day. Odd I thought and read back the attached thread and decided to change the decoder for new and also change out C103 - result.
Now locks in on switching on.
I guess i should have changed the components one at a time to see which was the problem but as i had them both to hand thought whilst i am in there - i was going on to look at TR101 but no need now.
Satisfying when you get a result for 10 mins work.
Old 15th Aug 2022, 11:04 am   #2
alanworland
Heptode

Default Re: Quad FM3

Bet it was the decoder, I had similar and haven't changed the cap.
Good tuners, had mine since the 70's!

Alan
Old 15th Aug 2022, 11:17 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Quad FM3

Based on traffic on the forum, the FM3 seems to be quite a bit less trouble than the FM4. I seem to remember it's been decoder chips, the tuning indicator bulbs driver transistors and the mono/stereo switching. The stuff actually receiving radio signals just goes on and on.

Add small, neat, and stylish, and they're a little gem.

David