UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2007, 10:48 pm   #1
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Default Restoring brass knob brights.

This Ultra U960 is turning into a labour of love! Every resistor miles high, split Hunts caps etc.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way to restore the "gold" on the centre of the knobs and at the centre of the large tuning dial knob? I guess they were anodised or something? Anyway mine have gone a nasty black colour. The knobs also have a gold line round the circumference of each knob which could do with refurbishment.

Regards,

Ian

Last edited by Darren-UK; 13th Sep 2007 at 1:48 pm. Reason: Model number added to text.
Old 15th Mar 2007, 10:32 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Ultra U960

Most of these "gold" inserts respond well to polishing with Brasso then lacquering. Not absolutely sure about your U960 though.
Old 15th Mar 2007, 11:54 am   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

If they are genuine brass and lacquered, the remaining lacquer may prove hard to shift. I use paint stripper! You will need to relacquer them. Spray lacquer as used for cabinets is OK as a refinisher, but you can buy specific metal lacquer if you prefer. If the metal is plated with brass, the possibility is that the plating has failed. The easiest answer in that case is to paint-spray the inserts.
-Tony
Old 15th Mar 2007, 12:12 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
If they are genuine brass and lacquered, the remaining lacquer may prove hard to shift. I use paint stripper!
And I think Howard advocates soaking in vinegar to soften it.

It would help if you removed them. Never try to prise them off though or you'll bend them. Try a sharp tap, Sellotape, or if there's access from the rear, pushing them off from behind.

Nick.
Old 15th Mar 2007, 12:45 pm   #5
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Thanks gents,

I already tried Brasso, but that didn't seem to do much except polish the bit of "Gold" left. I will try the other methods suggested. I have not tried removing them yet and will take great care not to damage them. The next challenge will be to re-polish the cabinet!

Thanks again to those that replied.

Regards,

Ian.
Old 15th Mar 2007, 1:01 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit6345 View Post
I already tried Brasso, but that didn't seem to do much except polish the bit of "Gold" left.
You might find that the "bit of gold left" is just where the original lacquer has come off, and that there's more "gold" to be found under the rest of the lacquer. Well hopefully
Old 15th Mar 2007, 6:11 pm   #7
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Hi Nicholas,

Yes, I did as you suggested and I finally got all the old lacquer off and the brights now shine like new. I am going to fill the outer gold ring with some metallic gold paint that I have. So thanks everybody for the tips and hints..onto the cabinet next.

Regards,

Ian

Last edited by Hermit6345; 15th Mar 2007 at 6:13 pm. Reason: Spelling mistakes!
Old 15th Mar 2007, 6:24 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit6345 View Post
Yes, I did as you suggested and I finally got all the old lacquer off and the brights now shine like new.
That's good news, Ian
Old 16th Mar 2007, 6:26 pm   #9
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Hi Nicholas.

I got some gold paint today and using a tiny brush and magnifier headset painted the circumference ring. I don't think it looks too bad for a beginner!
I am delighted with how it's going so far.

Regards,

Ian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-023F.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	8766  
Old 16th Mar 2007, 6:29 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Excellent work Ian!

You can sometimes paint things like this crudely, then use Brasso or similar to remove the excess, leaving a neatish finish.

But being careful to start with is better still

Nick.
Closed Thread