UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2022, 11:17 am   #1
llurkio
Triode

Default Beomaster 1700 (1701) -the sliding belt type !

Hi everyone,

I decided to have another go with a project I almost finished last year. It's a Beomaster (B&O) 1700 (type 1701).

It was dead when I had it, I needed to repair the belts, main swittch (a very fiddly job - which resulted in the tiny springs deciding to liberate themselves), replaced all electrolytic caps (except the three large ones - they tested to be within tolerance) and the volume/tone control PCB repaired with track repair compound, and, of course all the clutches.

All works reasonably well, but with a few faults I'd like to try and put right.
Firtly, when switching on the radio, it's usually lost the previous precise setting and needs a small amount of fine tuning, the AFC doesn't seem to make any difference.

Secondly, for my best listening pleasure, I need to turn the bass to minimum and the treble to nearly maximum, (in the 'flat' settings it has hi bass/ low treble) - could this be a miss-matched capacitor ?

And finally, I need the small connector piece, to connect the AM/LW tuning LED belt to the tuning string, as it is at the moment, the LEDs move but the tuning string does not.

Any thoughts or hints would be useful.

Tim

(Oh, if there's anyone interested in some free (specific values & close tolerance) resistors - see my ad !).
Old 20th Aug 2022, 9:34 am   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Beomaster 1700 (1701) -the sliding belt type !

There are a number of threads on the 1700 on this site, use the search bar to see the authors and specific issues.

Looking at those posts, a few BVWS members have direct experience with servicing this model.

Summer holidays might mean that your request for help will go unnoticed as it drops down the date issued list.

In the past I have PM'd specific members for help which has been very useful. You may wish to do the same.

I too have a Beomaster, the 8000 with the Beogram 8002 etc etc and 'am overwhelmed by the quality of sound and ease of use. The downside is servicing. Removing the case and getting at the boards was a nightmare until the correct sequence was followed.

Good luck

Chris
Old 20th Aug 2022, 1:01 pm   #3
llurkio
Triode

Default Re: Beomaster 1700 (1701) -the sliding belt type !

Thanks Chris, I've tried to find more information through the search bar but only found info on a different type (mine's a 1700 type 1701 - the one with the "tractor" belts at either end operating one of 11 clutches !!!). I'll keep looking and maybe ask for help again in a few weeks. And yes, they all sound stunning with looks to match !
Tim
Closed Thread