UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2022, 1:43 pm   #1
TJ-0209
Diode

Default Basement Clearout - Found a Philips EL original cassette player and Nytech Amp

Hi All,

I've been clearing out my folks basement and found a few audio bits and pieces I was hoping to get some advice on. I've a vintage amp and cassette player (I think). Any clue if they are worth anything or just belong in a museam!? Appreciate suggestions where to post if they might be of interest. Appear to be working (light up when plugged in) but I'm all out of cassettes and don't have any devices that'll plug into the amp.

Believe they are:

Philips Casette player EL3312A/15
And
Nytech CTA 252

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220524_102845.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	262060   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220524_102907.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	262061   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220524_103410.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	262062   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220524_103305.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	262063  
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 2:06 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Basement Clearout - Found a Philips EL original cassette player and Nytech Amp

The Nytech tuner amp is likely to attract interest, being a quite rare British high end product. Ebay will be your best bet. It may sell for 3 figures if in good cosmetic condition.

The cassette player is also likely to interest collectors, though it's not worth a fortune. It was the first stereo cassette recorder (1966).

You can sell these items here on the forum, but you must state a fixed price (asking for offers is prohibited). You're likely to get better prices on eBay, particularly if you're prepared to post internationally.
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 9:15 pm   #3
majex45
Hexode

Default Re: Basement Clearout - Found a Philips EL original cassette player and Nytech Amp

You should get a higher price on ebay, after all you are selling to the whole world (or at least country).
However, the hassle of parceling these fragile items and any subsequent damage with claim and counter-claim has put me off selling there.
Try on here after someone gives you a valuation.
Old 8th Aug 2022, 8:53 pm   #4
TJ-0209
Diode

Thanks very much for the tips.

One final question, where would you get a valuation on these? If I'm to post sell them for a fixed price here or on eBay it would be useful for a starting asking price.

Thanks again
Old 12th Aug 2022, 1:16 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's going to be very difficult to give you a price as you state you cannot test either item. The fact that they both light up does not mean very much. If you have speakers (8 ohms) you can plug them into the Nytech and check the input circuitry via a probe. That (early) Stereo Philips cassette deck will only be of interest to Philips collectors and is not worth that much - £20-00 or so if untested.
Old 17th Aug 2022, 10:06 am   #6
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

You can buy a service kit for the Nytech for £163 but you need some knowledge to fit it!

They were quite respected mid range products in their day but with slightly quirky looks. The A&R Cambridge A60 was a more conventional looking alternative and they sell more regularly and are probably more popular. In good working condition I reckon you might get £150 for it, but in need of a service and/or not working, probably much less.

Sold prices on eBay or other forums are the best way to check value, but beware asking prices of stuff that never sells!
Old 17th Aug 2022, 10:28 am   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

The Philips cassette deck is likely to require belts at least plus it looks like the record level meter is missing. Only of interest to a collector and with the work likely required which will also involve some cabinet work it's not worth very much and may only be good for spares.