UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2021, 9:59 am   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Realistic Sound Level Meter

I've just acquired one of these - part no. 42-3019, with a view to using it to compare the sound output of loudspeakers, as well as general sound loudness uses. My question about it is this: how much of a cheap-and-cheerful unit is it? I'm not expecting great things from it, but is it markedly inferior to 'professional' meters?
Old 17th Apr 2021, 9:02 am   #2
wd40addict
Octode

Default Re: Realistic Sound Level Meter

This is worth a read: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...ds-corrections
Old 17th Apr 2021, 9:18 am   #3
SteveCG
Nonode

wd40addict, yes, it certainly was worth a read!

One wonders whether doing all the capacitor changes implied may mean that you are better off in terms of personal effort and final performance getting a better meter in the first place? There again I don't have a feel for what a professional one would cost and how well it would perform. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm not going to use the Realistic in a professional environment.
Old 17th Apr 2021, 1:33 pm   #4
Hartley118
Nonode

I suggest that you leave the meter alone, especially as you’re planning to use it purely for relative measurements. Perhaps surprisingly, the Realistic meter looks to be performing pretty well.

It’s difficult to interpret the Audiogon article, particularly as its lack of credibility is illustrated by its use of the incorrect and misleading term non-linearity for frequency response variations. The settings used are not clear, but it looks as though the unspecified ‘laboratory standard’ meter was set to a flat frequency response and the Realistic meter to C weighting, which is designed to roll off below 50Hz and above 8kHz. That’s what it does.

The suggested circuit changes look like they’re designed to change the designed C weighting to flat, which is inadvisable in an ‘economy’ design - such issues as stability could begin to appear.

As you plan to use the meter for A/B loudspeaker comparison, it looks like it’ll be fine.

For general ‘loudness’ measurements, switching to ‘A weighting’ gives measurements generally regarded as corresponding to perceived loudness (and annoyance!).

Martin
Old 18th Apr 2021, 12:16 pm   #5
SteveCG
Nonode

Thank you Hartley118.

At the moment I have other matters on the go, but when I get around to it I'll try it unmodified.
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 11:48 am   #6
AmplifyAudio
Triode

As a live sound engineer, I carry and regularly use (well, not at the moment obviously) the digital version, the 33-2050, which I think is based on the same design. I've never used it for measuring and comparing speakers, but I have compared it to several different calibrated meter systems including 10Easy, SmartLive and several portable B7K meters at various festivals and live shows. And you know what? It's really quite good!

It does seem to generally measure 1 or 2 dog-biscuits higher than all the proper calibrated meters I've compared it to, but it seems fairly consistent. And as I do a fair few outdoor festivals including family and council events, having the overall levels a tiny bit quieter keeps my ears, the ears of the punters and the noise police happy!